CMU seeking public input for campus master plan

Central Michigan University is set to hold two meetings this week seeking public input for the 2013 campus master plan.

The meetings will be held in the Ausable Room in the Bovee University Center Tuesday and Wednesday at 5 p.m. and 11 a.m, respectively.

Land use, such as green space, bike paths, parking, future building locations and sidewalks will be discussed. The entire master plan team will be present at both meetings. Students, faculty, alum and Mount Pleasant community members are encouraged to attend these meetings in order to provide input.

"The master planning process supports the university’s goals, mission and values," Director of Plant Engineering and Planning Linda Slater said via email. "It strengthens the vitality of CMU’s academic community and the environment for student success."

Slater said the CMU Board of Trustees approved funding for a Campus Facilities Master Plan in July 2012.

In August 2012, CMU hired SHW Group, an architectural and planning firm that has done previous work for CMU, to head the project. Other consultants include Paulien and Associates, from Denver, Co., and a group of engineers from Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr and Huber of Grand Rapids.

With help from more than 175 people at CMU, the master plan team has been collecting data from CMU's campus by observing pedestrian walking and vehicle patterns and building entries, inspecting building space and utility systems and the examining various ways to use the available space on campus.

"(The master plan) provides guidance for current and future academic space, support space, student housing, parking and the facilities infrastructure for CMU," Slater said.

At Tuesday and Wednesday's meetings, these consultants will be meeting with various on-campus organizations, including the Academic Senate, Athletics, CMU police, the Council of Chairs, the Council of Deans, Development & External Relations, Dining Services, Enrollment and Student Services, Facilities Management, Finance and Administrative Services, Global Campus, the Office of Information Technology, Residence Life and the Student Government Association.

They will also meet with the city of Mount Pleasant, Isabella County, Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe and Union Township officials.

For those unable to attend the meetings this week, there will be open office hours in the Ausable Room in the UC Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.and Wednesday from 1 to 7 p.m.

In addition, the master plan team will reunite the week of Feb. 25 to work on design concepts to address identified needs and opportunities for CMU's campus.

The public is welcome to attend on Feb. 25, 26 and 27 to comment on the concepts. For those interested but unable to provide input at one of the meetings, a campus-wide survey is set to be held this week.