Bond raised to $50,000 for former CMU student charged with poisoning roommate

A former Central Michigan University student who allegedly poisoned her roommate has bonded out of jail after her bond was raised to $50,000 Monday.

Kayla A. Bonkowski's new bond conditions, set by Judge William T. Ervin, include an increase from $20,000 to $50,000, a 10 p.m. curfew every day of the week, and she is not allowed to return to Isabella County unless it is for court or to consult with her attorney.

“There’s no question in my mind that the defendant knew what she was doing,” Ervin said. “I don’t know what possessed her to come back to Mount Pleasant and go to the bar.”

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Bonkowski, 19, allegedly went to Wayside Central, 2000 S. Mission St., Jan. 9 and made contact with the victim, violating the personal protection order and entering a place that served alcohol. As a result, Bonkowski spent 13 days in Isabella County Jail for violating her original bond conditions.

Bonkowski allegedly put bleach in her 20-year-old roommate’s iced tea Nov. 7 at their apartment in following an argument over dirty dishes, according to court documents.

After consuming the iced tea, Bonkowski’s roommate was taken to the hospital for treatment and later reported the incident to the authorities. A petition for a personal protection order against Bonkowski by the victim was authorized by Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Scully and issued Dec. 3.

"My main concern is to protect the victim, and, in my mind, the defendant knew what she was doing," Ervin said. "It was less clear what her intention was."

Attorney Todd Levitt said on Bonkowski's behalf that 13 days in jail was enough and that she be released with the bond reinstated.

"She has no intention of violating the conditions, period," Levitt said.

Representing the state of Michigan, Prosecuting Attorney Mark Kowalczyk said Bonkowski knew her original bond conditions but broke them anyway.

"We believe there is no new or additional evidence the defendant is raising today," Kowalczyk said. "She made a conscious decision to go to that establishment near CMU."

Bonkowski was staying with her parents while attending classes at Macomb Community College.

"This is a very serious matter," Ervin said. "She is charged with a very serious offense."

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Bonkowski admitted that poisoning her roommate was a serious thing, but did so anyway because she said her roommate was being "mean," according to an affidavit.

Bonkowski was previously charged with poisoning food/drink/medicine/water supply, which carries a maximum 15-year penalty.

Metro Editor Hailee Sattavara contributed to this report.