Local banks say they will not be affected by change in mail delivery

Beginning August 2013, the United States Postal Service will cut home delivery on Saturdays.

This comes at a time when the U.S. Postal Service lost more than $25 billion between 2007 and 2011.

“One of the main reasons why this change is taking place is because of the financial situation that we have," said Sabrina Todd, spokeswoman for the United States Postal Services Michigan District. "Our profits have declined significantly since 2006 and this will save us at least $2 million annually if we go from six to five days."

Post offices currently open during Saturdays are expected to remain open on their time schedule, which will be available for customers to purchase stamps and other mailing products, Todd said.

Sophomores Alexandra Bunce from Byron Center and Kristina Hasanaj from Sterling Heights work at the desk for the Fabiano/Emmons/Woldt lobby, and have had their share of experience when it comes to sorting through the mail on campus.

“People get really anxious for their packages to arrive,” Bunce said, who at the time was in the process of sorting mail.

The entire staff working the front desk on the lobby of the dorms take part in different shifts everyday excluding Sunday.

If part of a student’s mail too large to fit in their room box, then it is logged into the computer, and an email is promptly sent out notifying the student that they have a package.

Hasanaj said the lack of delivery on will have an effect on students because the desk normally receives the same amount of mail on Saturdays than any other day of the week.

“It will definitely have an effect on students,” Hasanaj said. “They might spend more on shipping to make it come in sooner.”

People who have post office boxes will still be able to have access to their mail on Saturdays and packages involving medication will also be delivered. The Mount Pleasant Post Office, 813 N. Main St., is normally open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and 9:30 a.m to 2:30 p.m. on Saturdays.

The no-delivery policy on Saturdays will include the street addresses of first class mail, regular cards, letters, magazines and catalogs.

Todd said a majority of the remaining customers support the idea of making the change on Saturdays.

“The survey sent out last year found that overall customers had no problem with this,” Todd said. “Seventy percent of the customers were in support of what the post offices were doing.”

The postal service will also be sending out additional information to inform citizens on some of the changes that are expected to be made as well as ways to get around the cutbacks on delivery.

“We are talking with the respective unions to make sure they are aware and informed of the logistics of what this will look like,” Todd said.

Mary Olivieri, community relations director for the Isabella Bank in Mount Pleasant, said the change in delivery will have no major effect on the business.

“We feel that it will not have an impact on us, and it will go on as usual,” she said. “It is something we are aware of and will accommodate for.”

Isabella Bank, 139 E Broadway St., uses the postal service in town daily, with the exception of Saturday when the offices close at noon, and Sunday when they are closed entirely.

“We try to accommodate the need of the community,” Olivieri said. “We work with deadlines all the time and if someone needs to receive a certain item by a certain date, we plan accordingly.”

The U.S. Postal Service, which lost $1.3 billion in its first quarter of 2012, said its debt could reach $45 billion by 2017 if Congress did not pass legislation allowing it to change its delivery schedule, the Detroit News reported.