Male intruder, 20, hospitalized after early-morning stabbing at Copper Beech apartments

A drunken night ended with a stab wound and a stay at the hospital for a 20-year-old man after he entered two Copper Beech apartments without permission.

At 2:41 a.m. Friday, the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department responded to a stabbing at Copper Beech Townhomes, 4750 E. Bluegrass Road, where a 20-year-old man was found bleeding profusely from a stab wound in his lower left back, according to a news release.

Witnesses said the man was highly intoxicated and entered two separate apartments without permission.

Individuals in the first apartment said they heard someone outside making noise. When they opened the door, they saw a man urinating nearby, police said. When they tried to shut the door, the man held it open and entered the apartment.

The man then stepped back outside and the residents were able to lock the door, police said.

The individual then went around to the back door and began pounding and kicking it before he headed inside an empty neighboring apartment.

When the residents returned, they found the individual lying down in one of the bedrooms. The residents told the individual to leave but he refused, police said.

The individual then lunged at one of the residents, and a struggled ensued. The individual was stabbed in the lower back by one of the residents and received a non-life threatening wound.

He was transported to McLaren-Central Michigan.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said both parties involved are Central Michigan University students.

“Obviously, this stabbing was one of those situations where you have an individual not knowing where he was at the time,” he said.

The prosecutor's office has determined that no arrests will be made at this time. However, Mioduszewski said it will read police statements to determine what, if any, charges will be filed. If so, an arraignment will follow.

“Was the guy so intoxicated that he didn’t know what was happening? Did he have criminal intent by going into two apartments? Was the guy who did the stabbing acting in self-defense?” he said.

The case remains under investigation by the Isabella County Sheriff’s Department.

This marks Mount Pleasant’s fourth stabbing since September.

“Any time there’s a stabbing, it’s serious,” Mioduszewski said. “But it wasn’t anything pre-meditated.”