Softball splits on first day of Lobos Classic tourney

Softball began its weekend at the New Mexico Lobos Classic by splitting two games Friday, starting with a win versus Bradley.

Central Michigan was able to capitalize on errors by the Braves and their ability to put players on base turned into plenty of scoring opportunities. After a quick first inning CMU had no trouble getting things off to a good start, putting up two runs in the second inning to take the lead.

Junior catcher Cory DeLamielleur got the Chippewas started in the second inning after being walked on four- straight pitches and then stole second base. Freshman Katelyn Rentschler doubled to left center, picking up an RBI and a 1-0 lead.

The next at bat, junior Brittney Horan singled to left center and advanced to second base on the throw in, picking up a RBI in the process.

In the third inning, CMU continued to connect with the ball and put runners on base.  Senior outfielder Macy Merchant hit a single down the first base line, senior Summer Knoop hit a single to center field and was able to advance to second on the throw, putting herself and Merchant in scoring position. A Bradley on bunt by sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer allowed Merchant to score.

In the top of the sixth, DeLamielleur was walked again and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by senior Brogan Darwin. Horan hit a single to left field, batting in DeLamielleur for her second RBI on the night, making the lead 4-0, even though the team would only need one run.

The Chippewas posted a shutout thanks to the experience pitching staff and a strong defensive showing. Senior Kara Dornbos pitched all seven innings picking up five strikeouts. She gave up six hits on the night and walked one batter.

In the second game, CMU went up against the host team New Mexico University. After a solid showing against Bradley, it had a more difficult time stopping the Lobos.

New Mexico got off to an early lead in the first inning, scoring a run after Maria Rimmer of the Lobos stole second base and was batted in by Chelsea Anaya.

The defenses kept each other scoreless until the fourth inning where Sexauer was able to hit a double to left-center field. DeLamielleur hit a long fly ball in the infield allowing freshman substitute base runner Taylor Waters to advance to third base.

She was then batted in by Rentschler, who hit a double to record the RBI and the first run to make it 1-1. Unfortunately, in the next inning, the Lobos scored two runs to take the lead and went on to score in the sixth off of a home run by Cassandra Kalapsa to take the lead 4-1.

The Chippewas were unable to score the rest of the night and fell to the Lobos. They were, however, able to keep getting runners on base, earning eight hits on the night. Ultimately, they were unable to capitalize on the runners in scoring position and couldn't put up the runs to win.

Rentschler led with two hits in the second game and one RBI. Junior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg threw a complete game, allowing eight hits and three earned runs. Sunberg also struck out seven batters, but walked two.

On Saturday, CMU will continue the New Mexico Lobos Classic against Hampton and IPFW.