Sophomore guard Jessica Green doubtful for first-place battle against Toledo

Women’s basketball might be without one of its key players when it takes the court with Toledo for first-place in the Mid-American Conference.

Sophomore guard Jessica Green is doubtful for the Chippewas (16-9, 10-2 MAC) clash with first-place Toledo (23-2, 11-1 MAC) after suffering a potentially serious knee injury three minutes into the second half of CMU’s 77-53 win at Western Michigan Wednesday night.

She will be getting an MRI done today and Guevara isn't ruling out that she can return this season.

“We don’t know anything yet,” head coach Sue Guevara said after the game. “We will see the doctor (Thursday) and then go from there."

The Belleville native has started all but three of the 25 games this season. She is second on the team in points, averaging 11.8 per game. Green is also third in assists, averaging 2.6 per game.

She is also a key player for the CMU defense. She leads the team in steals with 2.2 per game.

If Green is in fact unable to go, Guevara will have several options to insert into the starting lineup.

The leading candidate is senior Jalisa Olive. The 5-foot-4 guard from Chicago has six career starts, including two last season. This season, she is averaging 5.3 points per game, despite playing just under 11 minutes a game.

Olive was named the 2011-12 MAC Sixth Person of the Year.

Junior guard Kylie Welch is another candidate to start. The Grand Blanc native has played in just 15 games this season but has started seven. Welch also started 25 games last season.

Freshman Da’Jourie Turner could also see her minutes go up if Green is out for an extended period of time.

The 5-foot-6 guard from Warren is taller than both Olive and Welch and has shown plenty of ability in limited action. She has appeared in 19 games so far this season.

The freshman is averaging 2.4 points per game, 0.7 assists and has 10 steals while averaging just 8.1 minutes.

Or, Guevara could go in a completely different route.

Although Green scored 16 points in the first game against the MAC leaders, resulting in a 73-66 win, she didn't start in that game. Guevara went with a bigger lineup with sophomore forward Jas'Mine Bracey starting.

Tip-off between the Chippewas and Rockets is scheduled for 2 p.m Sunday.