Brothers and competition: Nick, Logan Regnier dominate at the plate for CMU

cmb-bball-regruerbros05
Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photographer Sophomore outfielder Nick Regruier and Freshman outfielder Logan Regruier

It could be hard to distinguish between the Regnier brothers by simply looking at them on paper.

Both are outfielders for the Central Michigan baseball team, weigh 195 pounds according to the roster and older brother Nick, at 6-foot-3, stands a mere one inch taller than Logan.

Even the Novi natives know the main difference between them as players comes down to how each of them swings the bat.

“He bats right-handed and I bat left-handed,” freshman Logan said. “It’s just what I’ve always done. I can’t do right-handed at all.”

And although the brothers bat from different sides of the plate, the results they are getting have them sitting No. 1 and No. 2 in batting averages on the team.

With a .321 average, Logan leads the Chippewas in the batter’s box. In 81 at-bats, Logan has 26 hits with five doubles, four triples and 13 RBIs.

Nick isn’t far behind his younger brother, posting a .308 batting average. In 91 at-bats, Nick has 26 hits with five doubles, two triples, three home runs and 17 RBIs.

Nick and Logan know that their skill sets and what they bring to the table are very similar, and it’s a continuous motivator for the competitive nature they both share.

“I don’t want him to be better than me at something,” Logan said. “So I … ”

“We feed off each other,” Nick interrupted. “We’re somewhat competitive, not like over competitive, you just want to be at the same level as somebody.”

“We definitely are competing to see who can be better,” Logan finished.

The duo has played together since high school and they both assumed that would be the last time they ever shared the outfield.

Growing up, Nick and Logan played many different sports, but baseball has always been the one they both excelled.

Their parents were both went to CMU, and though Nick talked to other schools, he said coming to CMU seemed like the best option in terms of playing and education.

“It just made the most sense for me,” Nick said.

Since he began his freshman year in high school, Logan said he wanted to come to CMU, but playing sports wasn’t something on his mind.

“I wanted to come to CMU just for academics, but once baseball became an option it was just a perfect fit and I made that choice,” Logan said.

Although Logan said it’s definitely cool to play together, the fact that his brother was at CMU didn’t have too much influence on his decision.

But head coach Steve Jaksa said Nick being able to tell Logan about the program before he arrived at CMU was a positive thing.

Jaksa said Logan was able to know the personalities of coaches and how the team operates by talking with his brother.

When it comes to the Regnier’s personalities, Jaksa said the two are very different but complement each other.

“They know each other well enough and they like to win,” Jaksa said. “They may bark at each other a little bit, so to speak, but that’s OK. It’s all about getting to the final goal of getting a ‘W’ in that particular game.”

While they both are enjoying their individual accomplishments, team goals are top priority.

Logan said he believes the individual goals will come together if the team starts winning games and playing well.

As long as Nick is doing what he can to help the team, he said that’s what counts for him.

“It’s nice having success, but we’re just trying to take it a game at a time as cliché as that is,” Nick said. ”We just have to take it as it comes.”

“We’re just doing what’s asked of us in our roles,” Logan said. “If I’m hitting first, I pretty much just get on to get in scoring position so he can hit me in.”