Buses to women's NCAA tourney game almost full

The Office of Student Life expects buses transporting students to the women's basketball team's first round NCAA tournament game in Columbus, Ohio, to be full upon departure Saturday morning.

By Thursday afternoon, 13 spots on the buses remained. Bus spots were offered on a first-come, first-serve basis to the first 54 students to show up to the Student Life office in the Bovee University Center on Wednesday, and an additional 41 students Thursday. The remaining 13 spots will be distributed on today.

Originally, the Office of Student Life, which is supplying both the tickets and the transportation, offered only free transportation.

On Thursday morning, head coach Sue Guevara showed appreciation for CMU students' continued support for the team by paying the cost for all 108 tickets and is also supplying attending students with a Rose Rowdies T-shirt and lunch.

Students who bought tickets for the game, scheduled to tip-off at 11:10 a.m. Saturday, will be refunded the $12 ticket price.

"Student Life is always looking to supply opportunities to students such as this one," Danielle Rossman, Student Organization Services coordinator said. "We are excited to give students the chance to support the women's basketball team."

The bus will depart from lot 62, located in front of the Student Activity Center, at 4:30 a.m. and will return at 11 p.m.

Students who are unable to attend the game will be able to watch it on ESPN2. Students will also be able to follow @CMLifeSports on Twitter or check back at halftime and immediately following the game at cm-life.com for live updates.

The Chippewas won their first Mid-American Conference championship on Saturday when they beat Akron 86-68, earning them an 11-seed in the NCAA tournament against No. 6 Oklahoma.

The victory won the women's basketball team their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1984, when they lost to second-seed Alabama in the first round.