Katelyn Rentschler brings youth to a veteran team

cm-softballportraits10
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Freshman infielder Katelyn Rentschler out of Etiwanda, Calif. looks to replace former Chippewa Molly Coldren the all-time leader in home runs and RBI's at CMU.

Hailing from sunny Etiwanda, Calif., freshman infielder Katelyn Rentschler has already made an impact on the softball team early in her first season.

Rentschler first showed what she can do in the USF Tournament over spring break. In a come-from-behind victory against Penn State on March 5, Rentschler batted in two runs to help CMU regain the lead.

She would end the tournament with eight RBIs, most coming from singles. In CMU's game against Quinnipiac on March 10, she recorded two RBIs off singles.

“I just want to do the best I can to help the team," Rentschler said. "At the same time, improve all my skills and make a name for myself."

In 52 at-bats, Renstchler holds a .269 batting average and the third-most RBIs on the team. Head coach Margo Jonker scouted Rentschler in between her junior and senior years of high school for her solid swing and impressive power.

“Another coach from another program told us to look at her because we needed another catcher, and I watched her arm and was impressed with that as well as her size,” Jonker said. “I thought she did a nice job hitting and had a nice swing, so she had all the tools coming in as a freshman.”

Jonker expressed her expectations for Rentschler as a dependable hitter in the years to come. Though she is still in her fledgling season, Rentschler has the skills that make for the blueprint of a solid career at CMU.

Rentschler said she has enjoyed her time with the Chippewas. As a new addition to a returning veteran battery, she joins a strong group of leaders to learn under.

“I like having Cory (DeLammielleure) above me because she’s taught me a lot since I’ve been here and it's good to have a role model," Rentschler said. "I’ve learned a lot more of how they play as opposed to how I used to play in high school and travel softball."

She has been consistently strong at first base, leading the team with 108 put-outs and a .958 fielding percentage. Defensively, Rentschler is in a tough position as a freshman but has been near-perfect thus far.

“She’s an outstanding player," Jonker said. "Once she gains confidence in herself and just goes for it, she’ll be so much better. She has the tools, and once she gets over being a freshman and takes charge, she’ll have an amazing career."

The future looks bright for Central Michigan, amid young talent like Rentschler supporting veterans hungry for a Mid-American Conference championship. This goal has been pressed on the underclassmen since day one and the Chippewas remain optimistic of their chances.

“I’m excited. I have a lot of hope that we can win this year, because I feel like we have more talent than last season,” Rentschler said. “I know we lost some big names last year, but we have some good freshmen who came up as well.”

Overall, Rentschler said she has been impressed by campus and was lured by Central Michigan’s exercise science program. A long trip from scenic California, Rentschler has had no problem adapting to the often-frustrating weather of Michigan.

“It’s definitely a change. It takes some getting used to, not seeing the sun for months at a time, but you get used to it,” Rentschler said.