Beat the heat of summer with highly anticipated films, TV shows

This summer, televisions and movie theaters' screens will be packed with exciting new story lines and chilling plots.

Networks such as CBS and ABC are releasing a variety of new television series starting in early May.

ABC is premiering three new shows this summer, starting with "Motive," which follows two crime scene investigators on their quest to hunt down murderers.

The series puts a spin on the typical murder-mystery show by identifying the killer and the victim in the beginning of each episode. The story lines are then explored through flashbacks that piece together the connection between the two characters and what drove the killer to commit the murder.

"Motive" will have a special debut on Tuesday, May 21 at 10 p.m., following the season finale of "Dancing with the Stars" and will take its regular time slot Thursdays at 9 p.m.

ABC is also premiering the provocative series "Mistresses" Monday, June 3 at 10 p.m.

The sophisticated drama is about four women and their love lives, secrets, lies and, above all, their friendship.

The series is based on the 2008-10 hit British series of the same name.

ABC is also debuting "Whodunnit?" Sunday, June 23 at 9 p.m.

This nine-episode series puts 13 contestants’ investigative skills to the test in a reality competition. Contestants will reside on a glamorous estate, where they must solve a new crime each week in order to advance in the game.

Each week, players use a variety of crime scene investigation techniques to uncover whom among them is the killer. Only one person will unmask the killer in the end and take home a grand prize of $250,000.

CBS will be kicking off summer Monday, June 24 at 10 p.m. with the new series "Under the Dome."

In this sci-fi thriller, the town of Chester’s Mill, Maine, is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field.

The show follows a group of town residents as they fight to figure out what the force field is, where it came from and when, or if, it will go away.

Showtime is also taking advantage of summer with the release of its new show "Ray Donovan" Sunday, June 30 at 10 p.m.

The one-hour series stars Liev Schreiber in his first lead television role as Ray Donovan, the go-to guy who makes the problems of Hollywood’s celebrities and superstar athletes disappear.

The only problems he can’t handle are those that overrun his family after his father is unexpectedly released from prison.

However, not all of this summer's new shows are for adults only.

Disney will be debuting its new action-packed series, Marvel’s "Avengers Assemble" on Disney XD. There will be a special one-hour preview Sunday, May 27 at 11 a.m., followed by the series premier Sunday, July 7 at 11 a.m.

The series reunites Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow and newcomer Falcon, marking the first time in animation history this distinct team will join forces. Together, they face everything from Doctor Doom trying to conquer Asgard to Dracula unleashing vampire hordes.

Movies

Theaters will also be bustling with crowds this summer as new, highly anticipated films make their way to the big screen.

"The Internship" hits theaters Friday, June 7, which follows two salesmen whose careers have plummeted due to the digital world.

In this comedy, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson star in a desperate attempt to reinvent themselves, talk their way into an internship with Google, and soon find themselves competing with a group of brilliant college students.

Horror takes over theaters July 19 with the release of "The Conjuring," where paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.

It is not long before the Warrens find themselves caught in the most terrifying case of their lives. With trouble around every corner, viewers will find it difficult to turn out the lights after sitting through this film.

And just as summer is coming to an end, "300: Rise of an Empire" hits the big screen on August 2.

This is the sequel to "300," which was released in 2007, and is based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel “Xerxes."

This film’s action takes place at sea, as Greek general Themistocles attempts to unite all of Greece by leading the battle against the growing Persian forces, which are led by mortal-turned-god Xerxes and Artemesia, the vengeful commander of the Persian Navy.