Central Michigan baseball shuts out Calvin College 10-0

vgz-cmuvsbol-02
File Photo by Victoria Zegler On March 29, sophomore outfielder Nick Regnier safely makes it to first base on a base hit during the game against Bowling Green at Theunissen Stadium.

A nine-run third inning had the baseball team coasting to a 10-0 victory against Calvin College on Tuesday.

“We put up a big inning to distance ourselves and get us a win going into tomorrow,” said head coach Steve Jaksa.

CMU went into the third with just a 1-0 lead after freshman Logan Regnier’s RBI in the first inning to bring in sophomore Nick Regnier, but the third inning proved to be offensively explosive for the Chippewas.

Sophomore Alec Ornelas and Nick Regnier were both walked to start things in the third, followed by sophomore Pat MacKenzie successfully laying down a bunt to load the bases.

Logan Regnier then got his second RBI in the game, driving in Ornelas while MacKenzie was thrown out at second base.

As the bases again loaded up after senior Jordan Adams walked, redshirt freshman Neal Jacobs stepped to the plate to deliver a grand slam to left field, extending the lead to 6-0.

Sophomore Cody Leichman was up next and was hit by a pitch.

Although freshman Zack Fields struck out to give CMU its second out, Leichman stole second to get in scoring position.

A rip up the middle by junior Noel Santos drove Leichman in, tacking on another run and proving the team wasn’t ready to end the inning.

With Santos also in scoring position after advancing to second on a balk, a single from Ornelas put CMU up 8-0 as Santos scored.

A two-run home run from Nick Regnier capped off the Chippewas scoring in the third, making it 10-0 to end the inning after Logan Regnier flew out to left field.

“We were able to get our bats going in the third,” Jaksa said. “We had some really big hits and that grand slam and lots after that to put up a big nine-spot. All of a sudden, you’re up 10-0 after three.”

In the fourth, Adams and Jacobs hit back-to-back singles but were left on base.

The Knights struggled to score against freshman starting pitcher Adam Aldred and his defense.

In his first career start, Aldred pitched six innings and gave up five hits, while striking out five.

His two walks were the only ones CMU recorded in the game, compared to the five Calvin had in as many pitchers.

Junior relief pitcher Joe Ucho pitched the last three innings for the Chippewas, not allowing any hits or walks and striking out six.

“I think, overall, for us, it was what we were hoping for,” Jaksa said. “We were hoping Adam Aldred would do exactly what he did. We were confident he’d go out there and throw strikes right away.”

Jaksa said he was also pleased with Ucho’s performance.

CMU will face Michigan State in the 'Clash at Comerica' game at 6:35 p.m. today at Comerica Park.