CMU names three finalists for director of Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equality

Three finalists have been named for the position of Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equality.

The candidates will hold open forums next week at Central Michigan University.

Jeannie Jackson, who has served as director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity since 2008, announced her plans to retire effective May 17.

Matthew Olovson, director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and staff attorney at Ferris State University, will be coming to CMU Monday for his open forum from 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. in the Lake Michigan room of the Bovee University Center.

He has been in the director position at FSU since October 2012.

Katherine Lasher, the assistant director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equality at CMU, has an open forum scheduled for 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Lake St. Clair Room of the Bovee UC.

Lasher has been in the assistant director position since August 2012.

The final candidate is Francisco Gonzalez, dispute prevention and resolution specialist at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.

Gonzalez has been in the position since July 2006. His open forum is scheduled from 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Lake St. Clair Room of the UC.

The director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equality is responsible for the application and overview of the university's affirmative action programs.

Leadership of other campus administrative offices to assure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and university protocol is necessary. The office is also responsible for fielding calls from university faculty and students regarding alleged discriminatory  behavior.

The Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equality could not be reached for comment.