GAs host second ‘grade-in’ in support of GSU, platform

Central Michigan University graduate assistants took part in a “grade-in” Monday in the Education and Human Services Building to raise awareness for the ongoing Graduate Student Union contract negotiations.

More than 10 GAs took turns at Monday’s grade-in, showing their support for the GSU and the issues being discussed with administration at the bargaining table, while also grading final exams.

GSU President Michelle Campbell said the grade-ins have been helpful and bargaining is heading in the right direction for the union.

“I think it went very well, especially considering our GAs are some of the busiest people on campus,” Campbell said. “I think we’re on the right track for a strong and successful union.”

Participants of the second grade-in had signs posted above a table outside Einstein Bros. Bagels and the French Auditorium, which displayed the number of classes taught by GAs, the number of students taught each year and how much revenue their students make CMU in comparison to their annual salary.

“As a graduate employee at CMU … my classes alone make CMU at least $130,320 per year, and I only make $10,300 per year,” one sign read.

Campbell said the bargaining team picked the EHS building because it houses the bargaining meetings with administration.

Rachel Hackett, a biology teaching assistant, said professors and faculty members came to talk throughout the morning and the grade-ins have been valuable in bringing their views to the administration's attention.

“We’re doing the sit-ins to show to the administration the TAs at the college are behind the bargaining committee, and it’s not just TAs who have these concerns,” Hackett said.

Some of the GSU's major concerns include the lack of employer-sponsored health insurance and available materials, as well as reducing the delay on their first paycheck.

Hackett said despite other CMU employees receiving paychecks after the first two weeks of classes, GAs deal with a much longer delay.

“For reasons not explained to us, we’re required to show up for most of our programs two weeks before school starts for orientation and training, but we don’t get paid until four weeks after school starts,” she said.

One sheet on the wall read, “I am a COM 101 teacher at CMU and I don’t have the necessary materials to do my job.”

Another read, “I teach Eng 101 and I am paid as much as Pres. Ross’ annual furniture budget.”

Monday was the second and final grade-in of the year, but Campbell said there could be more scheduled in the fall if a tentative agreement isn’t reached by then.

Campbell said the university has expressed hope of reaching a tentative agreement by the end of May. Contract bargaining began Feb. 15 on the smaller issues of its platform.

“We do have 24 issues out on the table, and we only have two issues signed as far as a tentative agreement,” she said. “We are one-twelfth of the way there.”

Executive Director of Faculty Personnel Services Matt Serra released a statement Tuesday, which reads:

"Central Michigan University continues to negotiate in good faith with the Graduate Student Union. The bargaining teams have met 16 times since Feb. 15, working toward a collective bargaining agreement that is fair and equitable to all parties involved."

Mathematics Graduate Assistant Jim Kowalski said the administration's bargaining points include adjusting contract language on tuition remission, making changes to comply with new labor laws, allowing contracts to be terminated upon expiration and requiring supervisors to evaluate GAs yearly, rather than each semester.

Kowalski said the administration and GSU reached a tentative agreement Monday to adjust GA evaluations to a yearly basis.

The GSU was recognized in 2009 and started its current contract in 2010, which is set to expire this summer.