Media Board selects new editors for Central Michigan Life, Central Review

Central Michigan University's student publications will see new student leadership beginning this summer.

Three individuals were chosen to oversee both Central Michigan Life and The Central Review during the summer and next fall by the Media Board of Directors Friday.

South Lyon junior Catey Traylor will serve as Editor-in-Chief of CM Life for the fall 2013 semester.

Traylor joined CM Life in fall 2011, working as a staff reporter and senior reporter before being promoted to university news editor in fall 2012.

"My biggest goal for the fall semester is just to make sure that everybody's on the same page, so that we can make the product the best it can be," Traylor said. "Year after year, CM Life produces some of the best work in the nation. It really is the place to be, and I want to keep it that way."

CM Life Editor-in-Chief Aaron McMann said Traylor possesses key leadership qualities, making her a good fit for the position.

"She's able to establish relationships, (and) she's able to establish them quickly," the Redford senior said. "(People) know who she is when she walks into a room. I think that's important when you're editor-in-chief of a student newspaper."

Westland junior John Irwin will serve as the paper's summer editor-in-chief. Irwin joined CM Life's staff as a freshman in 2011, and was quickly given opportunities to shine as a political reporter.

"I was really interested in political journalism at that point," Irwin said. "It turned out perfectly for me, because I ended up writing a bunch of stuff right from the get go."

Irwin served as a staff reporter in his first semester at CMU before becoming elections coordinator and, subsequently, managing editor. He said delivering the news online will be key during the summer because of the weekly production schedule.

"Our readers still expect the high-quality journalism that we produce during the fall and spring," Irwin said.

McMann, who had a hand in the voting process for both Irwin and Traylor, said Irwin has a strong eye for news.

"He's a good writer, he's a good editor," McMann said. "That was one of the reasons why I appointed him managing editor."

Kylee Tolliver will serve as Editor-in-Chief of The Central Review for the 2013-14 school year.

The Perry junior has been involved with the literary publication since her freshman year and is excited to put her own spin on the magazine.

"My goal is to expose as many talented writers as possible on campus," Tolliver said. "I want to keep the unique feel of the magazine."

Tolliver was first published in The Central Review in the spring of 2011 and has since risen through the ranks to associate editor, a position she has held for the last two semesters.

"I really had such good experiences with the editors-in-chief who I've worked under," Tolliver said. "And I hope that people who come after me feel the same way."

CM Life will also see three new advertising managers next year: Ann Arbor senior Adam London, Redford senior Julie Bushart and Saginaw junior Gabriella Hoffman.