Three remain in search for next student media director after another candidate drops out

Editor's note: This story has been updated with additional biographical details on candidate Dave Clark.

Only three candidates remain in the running to fill Neil Hopp’s position as Director of Student Media after two candidates have dropped out.

Originally, the Central Michigan University Media Board had five candidates selected as finalists, but one, a woman, pulled out of the running before the formal announcement was made, and former Associated Press Director of Career Development and News Robert Naylor has withdrawn from the interview process.

“This has been a very difficult decision for me to make, and I do so with great personal angst,” Naylor said via email.

The remaining candidates will have a half-hour public interview in the Central Michigan Life conference room, 436 Moore Hall.

James Knight, who received his bachelor’s degree in journalism from CMU in 1984 and has held several jobs in the field, will be interviewed from noon to 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 23.

Knight has held editor-level positions at the Huron Daily Tribune, Annapolis (Md.) Capital-Gazette, the Jackson Citizen Patriot and the Ann Arbor News and served as sports editor at AnnArbor.com before moving to his current position as Manager of Human Resources Communications at the University of Michigan. He is married to Sherry Knight, CMU’s associate vice president for university communications.

Dave Clark, editor-in-chief of The Big Rapids Pioneer, is the second candidate for the position. Clark is a former assistant metro editor and business editor at the News-Sentinel in Fort Wayne, Ind., and editor at The Daily Telegram in Adrian. Clark’s interview will be held from 1 to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 24.

Clark received an associate’s degree in communications before receiving a bachelor’s degree from CMU in journalism.

The last finalist is Keith Gave, coordinator of The Washtenaw Voice, Washtenaw Community College’s student publication. Gave offers more than 30 years of journalism experience to the position, including positions at the Dallas Morning News, the Associated Press and the Lansing State Journal.

Gave spent 15 years at the Detroit Free Press–14 of which were spent as a sports reporter covering the Detroit Red Wings.

Gave’s interview is scheduled for 1:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 24.

Once interviews are concluded, the Media Board, which consists of chair Kendall Wingrove, former publisher of the Jackson Citizen Patriot Sandy Petykiewicz, Paul C. Chaffee LLC Executive Communications Consultant Paul Chaffee, Crain’s Detroit Business reporter Chris Gautz, Dirk Milliman of Milliman Communications, Associate Professor of Journalism Tim Boudreau and Merrill senior and former CM Life editor-in-chief Eric Dresden, will nominate the final two candidates.

It will then be up to Provost Gary Shapiro to choose Hopp’s successor.