Softball looks to continue hot streak with four home games this weekend

cm_softball02
File Photo by Chuck Miller On April 3, senior pitcher Kara Dornbos delivers a pitch at Margo Jonker Stadium during the first game of a double header against Detrit Mercy.

After sweeping in Northern Illinois and Western Michigan on the road last week, softball returns home this week for two Mid-American Conference series.

Bowling Green will come to Mount Pleasant for a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m. Friday, before Toledo comes for two single games on Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.

The team (22-12, 8-2 MAC) is 9-1 over the last 10 games with the sole loss coming from an extra-innings game against MAC East-leader Kent State. The Chippewas have been hitting their stride as the twilight weeks of the season close in, standing in second place in the MAC West.

"I think we’re playing well right now," said head coach Margo Jonker. "We have room for improvement; I certainly don’t think we're at the peak of where we can get, so that’s exciting. We just have to keep going game-by-game."

These conference wins will be vital as the season begins to dwindle, as MAC West leader Ball State has a commanding 12-0 conference record but has to come to Mount Pleasant next week.

CMU has certainly made steps in the right direction, getting great performances recently out of their veteran pitching staff and high run production from the offense.

Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos was awarded MAC West Pitcher of the Week for two consecutive weekends for her performances against Western Michigan and Northern Illinois. Dornbos went 2-0 and pitched her fourth shut-out of the season against the Broncos.

"Kara is pitching very well right now, and I think we have a good pitching staff that we can depend on," Jonker said. "I think the whole staff is doing well, and I definitely think we’re one of the better staffs in the conference right now."

At the plate, the team has several batters who have begun to turn up the heat in recent weeks. Junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure hit two home runs last weekend, bringing her total to six on the season. DeLamielleure also leads the team in triples with four.

"I'm just trying to stay focused and take my swings," DeLamielleure said.

Defensively, the Chippewas have suffered slightly from miscues and errors. This has been a bit of a frustration in close games.

"We haven't had a lot of practice outside, nor have other teams, so that can't be an excuse," Jonker said. "We've been trying to have some more defensive practices to help eliminate some those miscues we have had"