Softball sweeps doubleheader against Bowling Green

The softball team was clicking on all cylinders in its doubleheader sweep at home against conference opponent Bowling Green Friday.

The Chippewas were the aggressors all day long, getting out to a 2-0 lead in the third inning of both games.

Junior catcher Cory DeLamielleure added her third and fourth RBI of the day with a single up the middle in the third inning of game two during a sudden blizzard outbreak. The snow would cause the umpires to call a ten minute delay.

“I have never experienced two game delays in one game in my entire career,” said head coach Margo Jonker said.

DeLamielleure would single again to center field in the fifth inning, setting the table for freshman Katelyn Rentschler who would hit her second-career home run, first at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After Rentschler’s three run blast, the Chippewas had plenty of insurance runs to hold off the Falcons; especially with junior pitcher Chelsea Sundberg in the circle.

Despite two game delays, Sundberg had another great outing, allowing only two hits in a complete game shutout. She earned her self her eighth win of the season and added five strike outs to her all ready team leading 68.

“It was cold, but I try not to think about the weather," Sundberg said. "I’m more relaxed and not so uptight on myself when we score early runs."

Game one was the same story. The Chippewas jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third inning thanks to sophomore CarolAnn Sexauer’s single to center field.

Again, in the fifth inning, the Chippewas added some insurance runs to help starting pitcher senior Kara Dornbos. Delamielleure got her first RBI of the day with a double to left field which brought in seniors  Summer Knoop and Macy Merchant.

“I thought we were very mentally tough today, handling the weather today," Jonker said. "We were able to be a little more aggressive today by scoring early runs."

Dornbos continued her success this season by adding her ninth win to the season in game one. With another complete game under her belt, she also lowered her ERA to 1.97 on the year by allowing only one earned run.

The team continues its busy weekend with back-to-back games Saturday and Sunday against conference foe Toledo at Margo Jonker Stadium.