Three CMU professors named to 'Top 25 Female Professors in Michigan' list

Three Central Michigan University professors have been named to the Online Schools of Michigan "Top-25 Women Professors in Michigan."

Mathematics professor Christine Phelps, journalism professor Elina Erzikova and Professor of Apparel Merchandising and Design Maureen MacGillivray were the three CMU professors who were recognized.

MacGillivray was first notified of being named to the list after being interviewed by Central Michigan Life.

"I am humbled by it, and I'm curious. I wasn't aware I was named to this list, but I'm also thankful to be recognized by it," MacGillivray said.

MacGillivray has devoted 30 years of teaching to CMU. She plans to finish out her career at the university. In addition, MacGillivray devotes much of her time to work outside of the classroom, where she works for apparel manufacturing companies that are interested in using the body-scanning lab at CMU.

MacGillivray also received the CMU Faculty Distinguished Service Award in 2012.

Phelps was also honored upon being recognized, she said in an email.

"I am honored to be recognized," Phelps said. "It is always my goal to be the best instructor I can be for my students."

Phelps' future plans include continuing to improve her teaching through research and application in the classroom. Phelps received the CMU College of Science and Technology Outstanding Teaching Award in 2012.

Erzikova, who is an Association of Education in Journalism and Mass Communication’s Emerging Scholar and the 2012-13 recipient of the CMU Excellence in Teaching Award, was pleased to be named to the list.

Upon being named, Erzikova said she reacted as a "typical public relations person."

"My initial reaction was a reaction of a typical PR person. I said to myself, 'great. This is great visibility for CMU and the department of journalism,'" Erzikova said.

Erzikova said she thinks the search took place independently; the organization responsible for selecting the professors didn't contact the university beforehand. The organization looked at what awards were given to which professors and, from there, investigated without university aid.

Erzikova said her future plans include winning more awards. She said she will use her successes to inspire her students in the classroom.

"I will use (being named) as a teaching moment for my students," Erzikova said "You have to compete constantly to win, and, after that, all your wins and awards will work for you. It's like a snowball effect, and finally you're on top."

In addition, psychology professor David Acevedo-Polakovich was named to the "Top-25 Psychology Professors in Michigan" list, and Professor of Educational Leadership Michael Gilbert and Professor of Teacher Education and Professional Development Jim McDonald were named to the "Top-25 Education Professors in Michigan" list.