Two individuals jailed following Sunday morning couch fire

Two individuals were jailed for disorderly conduct Sunday morning after the Mount Pleasant Police Department broke up a crowd of roughly 300 students chanting around a large couch fire on the corner of Franklin and Gaylord streets.

A 22-year-old Grand Rapids man and a 19-year-old Whitehall man were arrested after officers observed them throwing a beer can at another individual, Mount Pleasant Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson said in a press release.

“Our officers also saw bottles being thrown and people adding items to the fire,” Thompson said. “MPPD officers made numerous attempts to disperse the crown using the vehicle PA systems but received very little cooperation from the crowd.”

Both police officers and fire officials had glass bottles thrown at them, Thompson said. The two individuals were lodged at Isabella County Central Dispatch for disorderly conduct shortly after.

After officers broke up the crowd that had gathered around the fire, police officers had bottles thrown at them at 1001 S. Franklin St., where a crowd gathered on both the front lawn and on the front porch, Thompson said.

“Officers' observations included bottles being thrown from the crowd, loud subjects, alcohol being consumed and trash being in the yard and other disorderly conduct,” Thompson said. “The six individuals living at the residence were issued misdemeanor nuisance party citations.”

MPPD received assistance from other local agencies including Isabella County sheriff's department, state police and Central Michigan University police, and requested additional officers to be called in due to trouble it was having with the crowd, Thompson said.

At this time, MPPD has not charged anyone with starting the fire or contributing to it.

“Although this type of activity may seem trivial to some, it was a safety issue to both the surrounding people and property and a drain on emergency resources,” Thompson said.

The YouTube video of the fire posted online by a CMU student has received more than 17,000 views and more than 50 comments.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, a group of roughly 300 students, many of them chanting "Eric Fisher, Eric Fisher" and "Fire up Chips," gathered around a large fire that engulfed two couches and a mattress between midnight and 1 a.m.