COLUMN: What does quarterback battle mean for CMU?

The biggest question mark coming into the 2013 Central Michigan football season is who will be behind center come Aug. 31 at Michigan.

Will it be junior Cody Kater, redshirt sophomore Alex Niznak or redshirt freshman Cooper Rush?

The real question shouldn't be who is going to be quarterback, but how will the uncertainty affect the team and can the team overcome the lack of experience at the most important position.

With uncertainty at quarterback, the rest of the offense will have to step up. The offensive line needs to create more time, the weapons around the signal caller need to be strong and the defense needs to keep their quarterback from playing keep up all day.

The Chippewas have the pieces to do all of that.

Getting senior Jake Olson back for another season will be a major impact as he provides the veteran leadership at left tackle to what will be an overall young line.

There are weapons aplenty at the offensive skill positions. The Chippewas are a threat in the air with many targets, but are most dangerous on the ground with senior running back Zurlon Tipton, sophomore Saylor Lavallii and junior Anthony Garland. All three have the ability to take a game over on the ground.

The defense has experience at linebacker and defensive back, but someone will have to step-up on the front line and it could be senior defensive end transfer from Michigan State Jeremy Gainer.

If CMU can get the guys around the quarterback to come up big this season, all the new guy behind center will have to do is be a game manager. They don't need to wow anybody, they just need to have control; something all three seem to be capable of doing.