ESPN: Fisher signs five-year, $22.2-million contract with Kansas City

No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick and former Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher has signed a contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, the team announced Friday.

Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Andrew Brandt the five-year deal is worth $22.2 million and includes a signing bonus worth $14.5 million.

At April's NFL Draft, the 6-foot-7, 306-pound lineman became the first Mid-American Conference player to be drafted first overall and was just the second player from CMU to be drafted in the first round.

Now that he's signed, Fisher has joined the Chiefs in St. Joseph, Mo., for training camp, and he was expected to practice with the team Friday afternoon.

Fisher is expected to start on the right side of Kansas City's offensive line protecting quarterback Alex Smith, despite being projected to play left tackle as he did at CMU. That's because veteran left tackle Branden Albert was given the franchise tag by the Chiefs and will play under a one-year, $9.3-million contract.

Fisher was just the third offensive tackle to be picked first overall in the history of the modern NFL Draft (Michigan's Jake Long in 2008, Ohio State's Orlando Pace in 1997).

In his senior season, Fisher earned first-team All-MAC honors, a second-team All-American selection by Sports Illustrated and a third-team All-American pick by the Associated Press. He anchored an offensive line that led CMU (7-6, 4-4 MAC) to its first winning season since 2009's 12-2 team.