CMU Bookstore ready for first week customer surge

It is the beginning of a new year, and that means the CMU Bookstore will be packed with students looking to purchase their textbooks all week.

Each new year brings a huge influx of customers for the bookstore, located in the Bovee University Center, but CMU Bookstore Director Barry Waters said his staff is more than ready to handle the large crowds and long days.

"It is our job to have everything our students need for the school year," Waters said.

Textbooks are notoriously expensive no matter where a student looks, but Waters said the bookstore is looking to give students the best possible deal for their books.

The bookstore allows students to charge books, supplies and everything else they offer in the store to their student accounts, which can be paid off immediately or with financial aid. Students can can also shop for and buy books at the CMU Bookstore website.

The bookstore also lists its prices in comparison with other major online book-selling competitors, including Amazon, so students can get the best deal.

"We have all the required course material competitively priced using our web tool that shows our price right up against all the major online book sellers," Waters said.

Books and school supplies are not the only things offered through the bookstore. The bookstore also offers a wide range of CMU attire, and students can purchase bathroom and residence hall necessities, like wall stickers and decorative cork boards.

"We are always changing with the trends," Waters said. "New styles of clothing, bags and accessories were rolling in this summer."

Waters said the bookstore remained fresh during the summer months, even though far fewer students were in town to shop.

"(Summer) was great. Our notebook computer bundle program has been successful again this year," Waters commented, "Also, summer session I textbook sales were strong for us"