Family matters: Two sets of sisters lead field hockey team

fieldhockeyskyrefer

When watching field hockey this season at Central Michigan, fans might think they are suffering from double vision.

It's no mistake, though, as the team consists of two pairs of sisters this year: the Riley sisters and the McKeon sisters.

The Pennsylvania-native McKeon sisters – senior Bailey and sophomore Taylor, are entering their second and final year of playing at CMU together.

“I think next year will be hard, especially not having someone to talk to and not having family up here,” Taylor said. “I have learned things from (Bailey) on and off the field, especially what it means to be a student-athlete.”

The Riley sisters – senior Ellen and junior Maureen of Louisville, have been at CMU together for three years. Like the McKeons, this will also be their last year playing together.

“It will be weird not having her here next year, but I played my high school senior year without her, so it will probably be close to that feeling,” Maureen said.

The two have played more than seven years together, so they know a little bit about each other on the field.

“I don’t know if I would call them weird sister powers, but I know when she is going to cut and she knows when I will. I also know her voice on the field above everyone else’s, so it makes it easier when we are playing together,” Ellen said.

“She is someone I could always talk to and cry to; we cried a lot together,” Maureen said, laughing.

This year will be bittersweet for the four teammates as two say goodbye to what might be the last season they are able to spend playing the sport they love with their sister.

“I think I will be missing the team aspect of things next year. I am going to miss the game and playing it, but I’ll miss playing with her as well," Ellen said. "I will definitely make it to some of the games next year.”

But, now is not the time to dwell on next season's changes. With the 2013 season underway, the team has a long way to go.

Winning is definitely something on Bailey’s mind, with this being the last year for her to get a Mid-American Conference Championship.

“I want us to do well every time we play,” McKeon said. “We have a lot of upperclassmen who should help to make us successful.”