After fast start, CMU offense made one dimensional

LAS VEGAS -- Having a balanced offense is nice, and something Dan Enos has preached since day one, but Central Michigan could only pull it off for one half on Saturday.

And after CMU's 31-21 loss that saw the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, score 31 unanswered points, it ended up being the difference maker.

The Chippewas outgained the Rebels 273-115 in the first half, racing out to a 21-0 lead in the second quarter. Redshirt freshman quarterback Cooper Rush continued what he started last week, throwing for 181 yards and a touchdown, while the running game became more involved than in the first two weeks with junior Anthony Garland and redshirt freshman Martez Walker also seeing some carries.

RELATED: UNLV 31, CMU 21: Chips led first-half lead slip away, Enos says team was 'outplayed, out executed'

Sophomore tailback Saylor Lavallii was effective early, rushing 11 times for 46 yards, and scoring from 3 yards out twice to put the Chippewas up 14-0. They were the first rushing touchdowns of the season for CMU, who relied heavily on Rush's arm in a 34-31 win against New Hampshire.

Lavallii's carries late in drives were the result of a mixed attack of passing and running – Rush threw for 181 yards and, even more importantly, had not thrown an interception – that had UNLV scrambling for much of the half.

After the Rebels scored late in the half, cutting CMU's lead to 21-7, the Chippewas became one-dimensional, head coach Dan Enos said after. They tallied 15 first downs in the first half, converting just six times in the second half.

UNLV instituted more of a blitz package, stacking the box against the run-game, ruling Lavallii and Garland ineffective. The CMU rushing crew rushed for a total of 21 yards in the second half, forcing Enos to throw the ball more.

As a result, more of a need was placed on Rush's arm. And with more of a need comes pressure for the redshirt freshman, who went 9-for-24 in the second half. Many of those throws were rushed, and he was intercepted twice late in the fourth after CMU gave up its lead – one that it never got back.

Rush nor any players were made available for comment, but Enos said his quarterback's interceptions were the result of missing a receiver and trying to force too much. The Rebels defense gave up just 84 yards passing in the second half, while CMU only drove in to opponent territory twice – one that resulted in an interception and the other a turnover on downs during the Chippewas final drive of the game.

Other notes

- Senior linebacker Shamari Benton intercepted a pass by UNLV starting quarterback Nick Sherry during the first drive of the game, the fifth pick for the CMU secondary this season. The Chippewas continue to lead the Mid-American Conference in interceptions.

- Redshirt freshman Connor Collins started at right guard on Saturday, replacing senior Cody Pettit who had emerged at the position during preseason camp.