Freshman Fuchs stands out at Robert Morris/Duquesne Tournament

Just like two weeks ago, volleyball went 1-2 this past weekend, playing 12 sets and winning four.

And just like two weeks ago, freshman outside hitter Melissa Fuchs was a pleasant surprise for the Chippewas.

“She’s been fantastic,” said head coach Erik Olson. “Coming out of a weekend hitting .250 as a freshman and being a good outlet hitter when we’re not in system, those are great things. Her serving accuracy has been really good.”

The Provo, Utah native totaled 29 kills last weekend at the Robert Morris/Duquesne Tournament, including 12 against Duquesne last Friday.

Only junior outside Kaitlyn McIntyre and senior Danielle Gotham had more kills than Fuchs on the weekend.

Fuchs was the only freshman to play besides defensive specialist Andrea Gothard, and was one of seven players to start all 12 sets.

“I came in expecting to work hard and see if I could earn the spot,” Fuchs said. “I’ve been doing really well in practice, so I think I earned the playing time.”

Olson was impressed with Fuchs’ performance in last weekend’s Oakland Invitational.

“I think we got a lot better,” Olson said. “We also found depth. Melissa Fuchs led us in kills in that last match. As a freshman, that’s pretty rare.”

Fuchs had 21 kills last weekend, 18 of which came in CMU’s lone victory against Villanova.

“One of my goals is just to be as good as I can,” Fuchs said. “If it means leading the team in kills, that’s great. It was awesome that I could lead and I could help my team get the victory.”

Olsen says about 25 percent of freshmen are typically ready to play, but Fuchs has had to compete against more than just underclassmen for a starting role.

“I want you to expect to start,” Olson said. “But it just doesn’t happen because physically, mentally or emotionally, one of those three things hasn't quite developed the way it should. Melissa’s competing against a couple other freshmen, but also against a senior. She’s doing it the hard way, so props to her.”

Fuchs might not get as much playing time this weekend’s Hofstra Tournament as last weekend, but Olson says this is just a matter of developing the team.

“She hasn’t gotten a lot of reps on the starting side this week because we need to get a little more depth at the outside hitter position,” Olson said. “We’ve been playing another outside a little bit more, but not because of anything she’s doing poorly. She’s been doing a great job.”

Olson says it’s too soon to tell whether Fuchs is the future leader of the team, but he likes what he has seen so far from a talent and energy standpoint.

“She certainly has phenomenal energy and she certainly has the passion that I’m looking for,” Olson said. “She’s certainly someone I expect that this program will be building around.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →