Maxwell shines in Hofstra Tournament

So far this season, the volleyball team has seen a fair amount of contributions from a number of players.

Among this list of players who CMU has had the ability to watch grow throughout these past few years is senior setter Kelly Maxwell. Early on, she has shown why she is viewed as a leader.

This was showcased this weekend, in Hempstead, N.Y. at Hofstra University’s Hofstra Tournament.

Maxwell was a source of pride for her team, as she was able to compile 15 hard-earned digs throughout the tournament. She was also able to give her team an assist total in the triple digits. With a grand total of 126 for the tournament, Maxwell certainly was key in helping her team achieve victory.

Her success this season does not come as much of a surprise. Maxwell has a history of stellar effort and guiding her team to victory on a number of occasions. Just last season, Maxwell found herself ranked amongst the best in the nation, coming in at 17th in overall assists per set, with 11.51.

She was also named to the All-Mid-American Conference second team for the 2012 season. The season prior yielded equally good results for Maxwell. She finished the 2011 campaign with a career-high 203 digs and she was an essential part of the Chippewas run toward the MAC title.

By the time it was all said and done, Maxwell earned herself All-MAC Tournament Team honors while she finished the season fifth on the CMU all-time assist chart, with a total of 1,381 for the season. This certainly went a long way toward the Chippewas eventual conference championship that season.