Mount Pleasant deliberates Washington Street pedestrian lighting

South Washington Street might soon get some new pedestrian lighting, much to the relief of residents on the street.

The Mount Pleasant City Commission voted Aug. 26 to approve two separate resolutions regarding the potential lighting. The commission will hold an additional public hearing regarding the lights in the future.

“They will be putting up lighting that is similar, if not the same to the blue decorative lighting in the downtown Main Street section (of town),” commissioner Nancy English said.

Discussions that night were relatively brief, as commissioners unanimously approved resolutions three and four, regarding new pedestrian lighting.

“The redrafted resolution, if approved, accepts a plan to install decorative pedestrian lighting on all three blocks of South Washington,” City Manager Kathie Grinzinger said. “From Bellows Street to High Street, on the west side of that street, with the city of Mount Pleasant contributing 30 percent of the cost of the project.”

Resolution four accepted the special assessment roll that distributed the remaining 70 percent of the project’s costs among the property owners, while setting a date for the roll.

Grinzinger said the city wanted an additional opportunity for residents affected by the new lighting district to voice their opinions. This would mark the third public hearing in total throughout the lengthy special assessment process.

English said the process started months ago when the city responded to a petition to install lighting in the 800, 900 and 1000 blocks of Washington Street, which 84 percent of the area’s property owners had signed.

Although the city had authorized funds to expand lighting in 2015, homeowners evidently did not wish to wait.

After unanimous approval in a June 24 meeting, commissioners rejected their initial resolution in a 5-1 vote. South Washington Street property owners Chuck and Wendy Allen had raised concerns with the commission regarding the financial burden that their share of the estimated $150,000-cost of the project might place upon them and noted they did not consent to their inclusion in the lighting district.

Following this, the petition’s original leader, Rick McGuirk, objected to the city’s revision of the project. During the July 22 meeting, the commission voted 4-3 to rescind their modification of the original resolution.

However, the city commission did not wish to place the full burden of the cost on homeowners and eventually came to an agreement with the payment of 30 percent of the cost.