Twerk your way through college: $50,000 scholarship offered for superb twerking

448317674_2951

https://vimeo.com/74058346

Finding a way to pay for a college education is a painful road, but for some students, financial security is only a twerk away.

Rapper Juicy J of the southern hip-hop group Three Six Mafia recently started a $50,000 scholarship for women ages 18-25 who are willing to share their amazing twerking abilities with the world.

Twerking is a style of dance most commonly seen on television and the Internet, but it has grown in popularity in dance clubs.

Twerking in clubs mainly consists of bending completely over and rapidly jiggling or popping your “assets” in the air. Twerking can also be done in a more elaborate and interesting fashion by flipping completely upside down into a handstand, and "popping it" at eye level.

The idea of twerking for college money is a hard concept for many Central Michigan University students to comprehend. Many acted confused or surprised when told about the opportunity, but a handful said they would take it without question.

“I would totally do it. I've got skills,” Dearborn sophomore Marie Wolski said. “I showed my mom how it's done. The only complaint she had was when I put my feet on the refrigerator. I think my mom would be proud.”

A few more CMU students said they would do it only if they had the ability to remain anonymous.

To win the scholarship, hopefuls must create a YouTube video showing off their twerking skills. Juicy J will then select a handful of winners out of the top 10 videos posted on YouTube, awarding those chosen with the scholarship money.

The vast majority of students said they would never do such a thing, preferring the more traditional means of obtaining financial assistance.

“No way would I do it. It's sad to see what the world has come to,” Caledonia junior Hayley Harmon said. “I would rather earn it in a way I would respect.”

Whether it is through study, athleticism or by gracefully popping the buttocks into the air to the cheers of thousands of people, school still needs to be paid for. It's just a matter of how students choose to do so.