Volleyball sweeps South Carolina Upstate to start Hofstra Tournament

Volleyball won a match in fewer than five sets for the first time Friday by sweeping USC-Upstate on Friday, 3-0.

Junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre dominated the stat sheet, totaling 18 kills and only two errors.

Central Michigan and USC-Upstate seemed to be even through the most of the match, but CMU was able to take control late in each set to finish off the Spartans.

The Chippewas finished the first set (28-26) on a 10-3 run and both the second (25-21) and third (25-21) sets on an 11-7 run.

Finishing off sets was a priority for head coach Erik Olson during practice this week after the team lost four of its eight sets last weekend by two points.

Sophomore middle blocker Angie White helped end the first and third sets with a kill. She had seven total kills, tied for the second most among Chippewas.

Olson has been impressed with White’s performance so far this year.

“Angie White has improved incredibly from last November,” Olson said. “She didn’t start for us in the spring games and she took the summer to kind of digest everything and she’s come back very good. We’re very happy about that.”

CMU will play at 11:00 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday to finish the Hofstra Tournament against Princeton and the host Hofstra.

Olson said this week he thinks the team could go 3-0 on the weekend, but making improvements and adjustments throughout the tournament is a priority.

“We’ll have to see how we evolve through the weekend. It’s critical that we keep getting better in each match,” Olson said. “In my opinion, we could beat every team on our schedule, so I’m looking for more out of the team every day.”

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →