Defense looks to keep women's soccer unbeaten in MAC play

Whether or not the soccer team will win its third Mid-American Conference regular season title in the last five years remains to be seen.

For the time being, the Chippewas seem to have found their identity and even a little rhythm. Solid defense has boosted CMU to an undefeated conference record heading into this weekend.

First-year head coach Peter McGahey said CMU (2-7-1) must maintain the same stingy defensive effort that propelled the Chippewas to their first two MAC victories of the season during this weekend's matches.

“We know we can be tough to break down as a game progresses,” McGahey said. “We have played some good offensive teams both in non-conference and MAC play this year. That can give us some perspective going forward.”

CMU knocked off two of the top-tier teams in the MAC East last weekend when it defeated Kent State and Ohio.

Another pair of MAC teams come to Mount Pleasant this weekend.

CMU hosts rival Western Michigan (4-3-2) at 4 p.m. today and then Eastern Michigan (5-4-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Both teams have not had any trouble creating scoring chances so far this season.

WMU posted 33 shots in its last two games while Eastern Michigan totaled 30 shots last weekend as both teams played, and beat, Northern Illinois and Toledo.

Last weekend, junior goalkeeper Grace Labrecque was stellar, stopping 34 shots in two games, including 21 in her first shutout of the season against Kent State.

“The women know what is ahead of them this weekend,” McGahey said. “We always think that balance is key. You have to find a lot of contributors to find success, and I think we are a product of that.”

Sophomore midfielder Kaelyn Korte made her first contribution to CMU’s season when she scored late in the first half of the team's 2-1 win over Ohio.

“Everything has been clicking very well for us since conference play started,” Korte said earlier this week. “We just want to keep our heads high and take things one game at a time.”

For updates on how the Chippewas' second weekend of MAC play goes, check cm-life.com.