Sabin reigns supreme while leading the fun at Drag Queen Bingo

a5-dragqueen
Daytona Niles | Staff photographer Detroits Sabin bends over and licks the cheek of Grand Rapids senior Zach Michell Wednesday night at drag queen bingo in Powers Ballroom.

Drag queen Sabin made her grand entrance and enticed the crowd with her usual vulgar sarcasm and wit as Central Michigan University students gathered to play bingo.

"Y'all ready to play some bingo and have a good time?" Sabin said Wednesday as she strutted into the Powers Ballroom.

Wednesday marked the eighth time Sabin has made an appearance at Central Michigan University to host Drag Queen Bingo, a staple of Coming Out Week.

Sabin, a Detroit area drag queen, has placed nationally as a top drag queen in the United States and has been performing for about 10 years.

As bingo progressed, winners were awarded bags of candy. Sabin took time to ask each winner a few questions and gave the audience the chance to ask her questions in between rounds of bingo.

One round was played where everyone stood up out of their chairs and sat down as numbers on their bingo card were called. The last person left standing was the winner.

Director of LGBTQ Services Shannon Jolliff  said Sabin is very popular at CMU and that students enjoy her presence.

"Our campus just responds really well to her," she said. "She's just a staple around here."

Jolliff said the ballroom was filled to capacity for the event, as about 300 people attended.

"She's hysterical. It's raunchy and funny," said Cadillac junior Charly Loper. "(My friend) dragged me here. I've heard stories about it, and it looked like fun."

Spectrum President and Mount Pleasant junior Sean VanEvery said he enjoys the entire experience.

"We only get to do this twice a year, he said. "It is educational and fun for us all."

Sabin said she returns to CMU each year because it is such a relaxed and accepting environment.

"The reason I like to come to CMU is because you changed me as a performer," Sabin said. "It's not about the fame, it's not about the money. Y'all literally changed me. You don't even know it."

https://vimeo.com/76665391