Field hockey looks to bounce back after two loss weekend

Women's field hockey will battle Ohio on the Bobcats' home turf at 1 p.m. Saturday in Athens, Ohio, hoping to gain momentum after tough losses last weekend.

The Chippewas, who now stands 4-8 overall and 1-1 in the Mid-American Conference, hope to boost their record in conference play. In early October, the team pulled out a win over Ball State, but dropped a loss in overtime to Kent State last weekend. Abby Roth scored an unassisted goal in the first half and Kaysie Gregory scored the tying goal off a cross from Jordyn Brengosz, but the Golden Flashes found the back of the net in overtime.

“We put a lot of time and effort in [the] conference game against Kent,” said head coach Cristy Freese to CMU Athletics. “We are looking to improve defensively and offensively for more games to come.”

Ohio (5-7) sits at 1-0 in the conference, after earning a 3-2 victory to Missouri State last Friday.

CMU also played the University of Michigan and was handed a 2-0 loss from the 16th ranked team. CMU sophomore goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds notched six saves in the contest.

Kent State, ranked first in the MAC with a 2-0 conference record, will play Ball State (0-2 in-conference) this weekend. Miami (Ohio), 1-0, will face off against 0-2 Missouri State at home.

The Chippewas will also take on Michigan State at 3 p.m. Tuesday in East Lansing. The Spartans took care of MAC opponent Ball State last week 8-0.

Next weekend, they will return home for the final two matches at the CMU Field Hockey Complex of the year against Missouri State on Saturday and Northwestern on Sunday.