First place women’s soccer to play twice this weekend

B1_SoccerPreview

Gregory Cornwell | Staff Photographer Freshman midfielder Samantha Maher moves to protect the ball against a Dayton player Friday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Complex.

After securing a playoff spot last weekend by winning its fourth consecutive game, women's soccer looks to continue that success against Miami and Ball State.

Head coach Peter McGahey said every game is important this late in the season with the playoffs not too far off.

“Truth be told, all the games are big at this point,” McGahey said. “I think we’re looking forward to going down to Miami and are really excited about the weekend.”

CMU (6-9-1, 6-2 MAC) comes into the weekend tied with Eastern Michigan for first place in the Mid-American Conference West division.

The defense and offense are clicking right now for the Chippewas, having allowed zero goals in their last four games while scoring seven goals. McGahey said the success this team is experiencing right now is all the result of always working on getting better in practice.

“At this point in the season, it’s all about refining and getting better and keeping a good rhythm while getting the ball in and creating quality chances,” McGahey said.

Junior forward Laura Gosse has been strong for CMU, scoring four goals in the team's last four games, including two game winners. She leads the Chippewas this season in both points (11) and goals (5).

Gosse said that although the team has a lot of momentum right now, the focus is on Miami and the challenge of playing a fellow first place opponent.

“I think we have some good momentum going,” Gosse said. “We have to support each position. We all know Miami is going to be a really tough battle, especially because we lost to them in the MAC tournament last year so it’s going to be a little emotional, but once we get everything under control I think we’ll be fine.”

Junior goalkeeper Grace Labrecque recorded her ninth career shut-out last Sunday against Buffalo moving her into third all-time in program history.

Miami (9-4-3, 5-1-2 MAC) is in first place in the MAC East. The RedHawks have three players with at least five goals, including the reigning MAC Player of the Week, junior forward Kelsey Dingles.

Ball State (9-4-3, 4-4-2 MAC) trails CMU in the division standing sitting in third place. Senior midfielder Michelle Blok leads the Cardinals with four goals this season.

Labrecque said in order to maintain this level of success, the team has to continue to play with discipline on defense.

“We have to stick to our game plan and stay organized defensively,” Labrecque said.