Lightning causes 49-minute game delay, players find ways to pass time

footballgallery_10

Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Junior wide receiver Davis Titus avoids tacklers on a punt return against Miami University at Yager stadium Saturday afternoon. Chippewas 21-9.

OXFORD, Ohio -- With two offenses struggling to put points on the board, the fans watching the Central Michigan vs Miami (Ohio) game Saturday didn’t expect to see lightning strikes.

But they did. In a literal sense. It struck in the second quarter, causing a 49-minute delay. The delay came at a good time for CMU, which was struggling offensively running the ball.

“I just went in there stressed out and ate some gummy worms,” said running back Maurice Shoemaker-Gilmore. “I was just in there trying to keep my mind fresh. My body was stiff but my mind was loose; I was ready to go.”

Other players, like running back Saylor Lavallii, took a rest.

“During the delay, it was like a premature halftime,” Lavallii said. “We sat down and went over what we ran, and what defensives they had. We were going over what had happened in the game so far. I always like to lay down and close my eyes, too.”

Wide receiver Titus Davis regrouped with the receiving corps and refocused.

footballgallery_11
Redshirt freshman running back Maurice Shoemaker-Gilmore runs the ball against Miami University Saturday afternoon. Shoemaker had 10 rushing attempts for 51 yards and 1 touchdown. Chippewas won 21-9.
footballgallery_12
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Sophomore defensive end Louis Palmer sacks Miami University's quarterback Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium. Chippewas won 21-9.
footballgallery_13
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Fans of Miami University hide from the storm during the rely Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium.
footballgallery_14
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Sophomore running back Saylor Lavallii runs the ball against Miami University Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium. Lavallii had 25 rushing attempts for 151 yards and 2 touchdowns.
footballgallery_15
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Junior wide receiver Davis Titus runs the ball against Miami University Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium. Titus had 3 receptions for 34 yards and 6 returns for 80 yards.
footballgallery_16
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Redshirt freshman quarterback Cooper Rush runs with the ball against Miami Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium. Rush 11 of 21 passes for 110 yards, but with 1 interception and 3 sacks.
footballgallery_17
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Senior defensive back Avery Cunningham defends the pass from Miami Universtiy Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium. Chippewas won 21-9.
footballgallery_18
Samantha Madar/Staff Photographer Sophomore defensive line Shafer Johnson, left, redshirt freshman wide receiver Anthony Rice, center and sophomore defensive back Colton Odykirk run back to the Chippewas locker room after beating Miami University 21-9 Saturday afternoon at Yager Stadium.

“We were just trying to stay focused the best we can,” Davis said. “We tried to keep our composure and stay focused on the game. We tried not to get distracted by anything. We just wanted to come out and play harder.”

After the delay, the running backs put on a show rushing for 201 total yards. Lavallii set career highs with 25 carries and 151 rushing yards. The delay helped the offense, but it’s something that Shoemaker-Gilmore doesn’t want to go through again.

“I’ve never been a part of something like that,” Shoemaker-Gilmore said. “It was kind of slow. We were going over all the plays. Everybody was itching to get back out there. We had to stay loose. I know I don’t want to do that again.”

Head coach Dan Enos wanted to make the extra time count for his team.

“We just went in and went to work,” Enos said. “We got with our position groups and went over the plays with the defense, offense and special teams. We went over everything with our guys. Things we thought we were going to see, things we didn’t think we were going to see, we went over formations and coverages. We tried to use the time as efficiently as we could.”

Enos told the team that they had to come back out and finish strong.

“He just told us we have to come back out and finish,” Shoemaker-Gilmore said. “We went out there and pounded the ball. We woke up and put some points on the board.”

Lavallii was proud that the team overcame adversity in a season filled with it.

"We have to play the game,” Lavallii said. “We had to handle adversity and that was an adverse situation. We came out well and won the game.”

As for Enos, he chose Gatorade over the gummy worms.

“I didn’t eat any gummy worms, I can tell you that,” Enos said. “I was drinking Gatorade (and) trying to coach.”