CMU student, 18, arrested for Merrill Hall assault

An 18-year-old Central Michigan University student was arrested Sunday after sexually assaulting a student in her Merrill Hall room and fighting with her roommates.

CMU Police were called at about 3 a.m after the residence hall staff reported the assault.

“There were two other roommates there at the time that were the victims of the second assault and battery, which in this case was essentially pushing,” said CMUPD Lt. Cameron Wassman. “There were the girls who lived in the room, one additional witness and the suspect.”

The suspect was arrested in Merrill Hall and then transported to the Isabella County Jail.

He faces one count each of home invasion, criminal sexual conduct with intent of sexual penetration, criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree and two counts of assault and battery.

He will be arraigned at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Isabella County Courthouse.

“A fourth degree criminal sexual conduct is a sexual assault type of crime that involves touching, full contact,” Wassman said.

According to a mass email sent out this afternoon, the victims were not injured during the assaults. CMUPD will continue to lead the investigation.

Wassman said the victim and suspect did know each other, but did not believe there was “any other kind of association.”

“It’s important that people lock their doors in order to help keep themselves safe,” Wassman said. “It’s a good thing the suspect was apprehended promptly and now we get to wait for justice to run its course.”

Police did not find any evidence of the suspect trying to enter other rooms, but Wassman said CMUPD discovered he had been drinking alcohol.