Offense sets tone for soccer's 3-0 win over Northern Illinois

Soccer558

Gregory Cornwell | Staff Photographer Junior forward Laura Gosse protects the ball Sunday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Complex. Gosse lead scoring on the day against the NIU Huskies with two goals. The Chippewas added one more goal to win 3-0.

[wzslider autoplay="true" interval="5000" height="600" transition="'slide'" info="true" lightbox="true"]It was a strong defensive effort for soccer on Friday, but it was the offense that set the tone early and often in Sunday's win.

The three goals scored by CMU is the most they have scored in one game this season.

“To have the women play with such passion, energy and enthusiasm was very good,” head coach Peter McGahey said. “Our start to the first half was very good, and I thought we did a good job of as they rolled players in and out we managed the tempo of the game.”

Junior goalkeeper Grace Labrecque had four saves and recorded her third shutout of the season.

Junior forward Laura Gosse scored from a few feet out putting CMU up 1-0, scoring after six minutes.

With the two goals on Sunday, Gosse is now the leading goal scorer, surpassing junior midfielder Emily Cooksey.

soccergreg_20
soccergreg_21
soccergreg_22
soccergreg_23
soccergreg_24
soccergreg_25
soccergreg_26
soccergreg_27

Gregory Cornwell | Staff Photographer Junior forward Laura Gosse clears the ball up-field Sunday afternoon against Northern Illinois at the CMU Soccer Complex. Gosse scored two early goals while senior forward Nicole Samuel added another to beat the Huskies 3-0.

McGahey had emphasized earlier in the week that it would be important to score early in putting the pressure on the opponent.

Gosse said the team’s ability to take advantage of scoring chances was beneficial for the defense.

“Scoring three goals early in the game really released a lot of pressure on our defense,” Gosse said. “It gave us an opportunity to get some players in. When we don’t score, I think our defense feels that extra pressure to keep the ball out of the net.”

The offense continued to pour it on early. Gosse would score her second goal of the game with a header in the 11-minute mark, giving CMU the 2-0 lead.

Senior forward Nicole Samuel got in on the action when she found the back of the net on a volley off a cross in the 13th minute, making it 3-0.

“The goals we scored were earned goals,” McGahey said. “A lot of the things we have been talking about in practice and training really came out today. I was very pleased with how the goals were scored, and I thought we showed good maturity.”

CMU will travel to Akron and Buffalo this week with a 7 p.m. kickoff against Akron on Friday and a noon kickoff Sunday against Buffalo.