Peter McGahey: 'Just because you know what the problem is doesn’t mean you can solve it'

soccer_vs_eastern342

Gregory Cornwell | Staff Photographer Sophomore defender Taylor Potts contains a offender Sunday afternoon against Eastern Michigan Sunday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Complex. The Chippewas lost 3-0 after a slippery battle in the rain.

A slow start or a strong start can be the difference between winning and losing a game.

Women's soccer has gotten off to slow starts on a number of occasions this season, and this weekend, it did the team in once again. The Chippewas lost to Western Michigan (1-0) and Eastern Michigan (3-0) this weekend to even their Mid-American Conference record to 2-2.

They've scored just four first-half goals through 12 games this season and put only two first-half shots on goal this weekend.

Head coach Peter McGahey channeled his inner Bill Parcells when addressing CMU’s first half struggles this season.

“Just because you know what the problem is doesn’t mean you can solve it,” McGahey said, quoting a USA Today article featuring the former Super Bowl-winning football coach.

“I can relate to that,” McGahey said.

After their best offensive road trip of the season to open MAC play, CMU failed to score and fell to 0-3-1 at home this season.

The Chippewas offense looked especially dreary on a rainy afternoon against EMU. Eagles goalkeeper Megan McCabe stopped all four shots the Chippewas put on goal in the first half with ease.

A possible reason for the especially bad offensive performance against EMU was the absence of team leading scorer Emily Cooksey, who sat out with an injury. McGahey did not comment on the extent of Cooksey’s injury but called it a “little nic” sustained during the WMU game on Friday.

“We wanted to play it safe and a little more conservatively with her,” McGahey said. “We have to realize that (the MAC) is a marathon and not a sprint, and we decided it was best to hold her back.”

CMU will host two more MAC teams this weekend as Toledo and Northern Illinois come to town Friday and Sunday afternoon, respectively.

McGahey said starting strong would be a message he and the rest of the coaching staff will preach to the team as practice progresses this week.

“I guess we are at a point where we will see where we are at mentally,” he said. “The bottom line now is that talking about the problem and fixing the problem are two very different things.”