Q&A: Senior setter Kelly Maxwell

Central Michigan Life staff reporter Joe Judd spoke with senior setter Kelly Maxwell as volleyball prepares for its next match against Miami on Friday night in Oxford, Ohio.

What made you want to come play volleyball at Central Michigan University?

Kelly Maxwell: I really liked the atmosphere and the environment that the coaches and players bring. I wanted to become a better volleyball player and challenge myself a little bit. I think we’re challenged here everyone.

What has it been like playing like playing for Erik Olson?

KM: It’s been awesome. I think he and his program, what he does with his players to grow every single year and we learn something new each day and each year.  It’s a really cool experience and I’ve grown a lot as a person and a player since I’ve been here.

What is your favorite memory from being on the volleyball team?

KM:  Obviously, winning the Mid-American Conference tournament was, without a doubt. But also going into the NCAA tournament and knowing you’re one of those few select teams competing against a school with a ton of fans was special.

Who would you say you are the closest to on this team?

KM:  I have 14 other girls here who are all very supportive. I would have to say I’m really close to the crazy duo of  Mac (Kaityln McIntyre) and (Halle) Enderle.

How does it feel knowing your time at CMU is almost over?

KM: Everything’s a little bit more special, and I’m trying harder here and there. But at the same time, I know other people have three or four more years, so I just want to make the most of the time I have left here.

What would you like to see more of on the court this season?

KM:  This year we can add some more aggression.  Sometimes we’re so worried about tactics and if we’re doing the right thing.  We’re experienced enough to be aggressive and have fun with it.

What will you miss most about playing at CMU?

KM:  Being a part of the family.  Having that special connection with the coaches and players you have while you’re here is really unique, and I’m definitely going to miss that.