Schuette looks to provide spark as volleyball tries to turn season around at home

When outside hitter Katie Schuette decided to return to CMU as a graduate student after being injured her senior year, there was no guarantee she’d start.

Schuette played sets on and off early in the season with performances to match that. After recording a career-high 15 kills Friday night against Miami and eight kills Saturday at Bowling Green, Schuette might have solidified herself a starting job, at least for now.

In the summer of 2012, Schuette suffered a stress fracture in a vertebrae, which threatened to end her volleyball career.

“She felt like whether she earned a starting job or not, she had something to contribute to this program and help the young ones get better,” head coach Erik Olson said before the season began. “If she’s physically able, she’s obviously able to help us out.”

Schuette and freshman Melissa Fuchs have been sharing time at the outside hitter position for most of the season.

Schuette says she’s looking forward to a pair of home games this weekend, CMU’s first full weekend at home since Sept. 27.

“I think it’ll be a good home atmosphere; it’ll be nice to have our fans around us,” Schuette said. “(The key is) just putting everything together, having passion and putting on a good show at home.”

The team is going to need the support of the home crowd with a tough test Friday against Buffalo. The Bulls are 10-10 overall and 4-4 in the Mid-American Conference, putting them in the middle of the MAC East.

Following Friday's matchup is Saturday's match with Akron. The Zips are on the opposite end of the spectrum, with an 0-8 record in the MAC East and an overall record of 6-13.

CMU has to be careful not to overlook the Zips with a big road match next Friday at Ball State.

The Chippewas will play at 7 p.m. both Friday and Saturday this weekend in McGuirk Arena.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →