MMCC student found dead at Bluegrass apartment

A Mid Michigan Community College student was found dead in his apartment Tuesday morning at The Village at Bluegrass, 4300 Collegiate Way.

Matt Vandercook, a 21-year-old Monroe native, was found in his bed by roommates around 9 a.m. Michigan State Police and Mobile Medical Response arrived on the scene at 9:10 a.m., where Vandercook was pronounced dead.

One of his roommates, CMU Monroe junior Brandon Sampson, said his roommate was in bed all day Monday. Sampson said after a Sunday night of eating a spaghetti dinner and watching the Detroit Tigers game on TV, Vandercook went to bed early and was not seen all day Monday.

"He was just in his room all day," Sampson said. "That's what he usually does when he's sick, so we didn't think anything of it at first."

When roommates checked on Vandercook on Tuesday morning, they found him unresponsive and immediately called the police. Sampson said his roommate's skin was discolored on his sides.

When asked, roommates said they recalled no sounds coming from the room or any other reason for alarm before finding Vandercook unresponsive.

"When we went in, as the light was shining you could see he was purple," Sampson said. "It's messed up. We don't really know what happened."

According to Sampson, Vandercook had dropped his classes at MMCC just a few months before the incident.

MMCC spokesperson Matt Miller said Vandercook started classes in fall 2012, until leaving after the following winter semester.

"(Vandercook) actually started the enrollment process this fall, but didn't complete it," Miller said.

Michigan State Police confirmed the Vandercook family has been notified of Matt's death. A news release from MSP said a postmortem examination to find the cause of death is pending.

The case remains under dual investigation by the Michigan State Police Mount Pleasant Post and the Isabella County Medical Examiner's Office.

Check back with cm-life.com for more as this story develops.