'Threads Best of the Best' offers students chance to present favorite designs, raises more than $18K

a3-threads-main

One look is never enough.

That's why some of the designers from the annual Threads Fashion Show on campus had an opportunity to bring back some of their best pieces of work in a show this weekend.

The College of Education and Human Services’ apparel merchandising and design (AMP) and recreation event management (RPL) departments combined forces on Saturday to present the "Threads Best of the Best" fashion show for the first time on Central Michigan University's campus. Dean Dale Elizabeth Pehrsson and First Lady Elizabeth Ross co-sponsored the event alongside hosts professors Carol Beard, Tim Otterman and Lori Irwin.

“This event gives the community an up-close view of the designs, highlighting all the students accomplishments throughout the years,” Pehrsson said. “It’s amazing to watch both departments collaborate.”

The night was filled with desserts, designs and a silent auction of 22 pieces, helping students gain experience, while raising money for AMD and RPL student scholarship in the process.

The showcase was created by a management committee of seven RPL students and two AMD student producers. The showcase, which featured 15 AMD design majors, allowed the opportunity for the designers to display their “best of the best” designs from previously created collections.

Grand Rapids freshman Claire Kupris is an AMD major who modeled in the show to gain experience and to be involved.

“Someday, I want to be a designer, so to help me grow in this major it is important to have experience with both sides,” she said.

Each designer presented three or four collection designs. Riverdale senior student designer Jason Gagnon displayed a timeline of his progress.

“I showed a piece from every year, three different collections,” he said. “It was my chance to show how far I have come. I love the idea of this event and think there should be one every year. It lets us have another runway opportunity and to dig up our older designs and relive memories.”

One hundred and seventy-five seats were available for a $30 ticket purchase, and the show was sold out one week prior to the event.

Manistee junior Lauren Henry  was in attendance to view the catwalk Saturday night. Henry plans to design in the spring production of Threads.

“This is just another way for people to see the talents of the students here at CMU and what they can do with their design abilities,” she said.

Platinum, silver and bronze Sponsors donated $1,000, $500 and $250, respectively. Including silent auction winnings and donations made during the night, the event fundraised a total $18,800.

All proceeds will be allocated between the two departments toward students’ professional development.

“Coming from a student running this, I think it is amazing to sell out and raise such a great amount,” said Macomb senior and event management committee member Courtney Watts. “Threads is always a hit show, so to be able to come together and put on a like show it a big accomplishment within itself.”

AMD faculty coordinator and host of the event Carol Beard said that the show was perfection.

“It was everything I hoped it would be," she said. "This was a great experience for the designers, audience and students. People could actually view the little details since everything was so up-close. I am so proud of them all, I will probably just go home and cry because of how thrilled I am with the outcome.”

The Threads Best of Best show plans for annual returns, giving students further opportunities to showcase their unique talents.