University Libertarians' free speech wall acts as an outlet for expression

University Libertarians collaborated with Young Americans for Liberty to give students an outlet for expression in the form of a free speech wall on Friday.

Besides students, faculty and alumni walking near the Bovee University Center also wrote on the wall.

"There's a lot of things that will be put on the wall that I might not agree with, but that's the whole point of freedom of speech. You can say or write whatever you want in this country because it is a liberty that's afforded to you," said Troy junior Christian Conley, University Libertarians vice president.

A free speech wall is one of many activism projects the University Libertarians have throughout the year.

Conley said the wall was one of several ideas suggested by the Young Americans for Liberty to use as an activism project.

"There was a variety of different activism projects we could have done, but we thought the freedom speech wall would have been the best choice just because many people like to express themselves. It really grasps the whole idea of liberty," Conley said.

Jackson sophomore Ty Hicks, University Libertarians president, said the free speech wall was created for people to use their first amendment rights and be more aware that they have freedom of speech.

"We are just trying to draw attention to the first amendment and individual rights as a whole," Hicks said.

Two students who wrote on the wall agree that the wall is a good expression outlet with it being halfway through the semester and dealing with stress of exams.

"I wrote, 'failing is not always failure', because a lot of people are stressed out especially with it being homecoming week," said Chicago sophomore Meredith Fuhauf.

She said it helps people see they are not alone in their struggles.

Reading the wall made West Branch sophomore Andrea Gillette's day as she examined it.

"It lets people who have been holding things in a long time express themselves. It's a no judgement zone," Gillette said.

University Libertarians is a local chapter at Central Michigan University. The chapter works closely with its national partner Young Americans for Liberty.

"We have a very collaborative relationship because our ideals line up," Hicks said.

Hicks is also the president of Young Americans for Liberty on campus which was created this semester. The CMU University Libertarians chapter was created last year.

"Our organization is all about trying to protect civil liberties," Hicks said. "Students at this campus and all across the country need to remember what it is about our country that sets us apart or at least what it used to set us apart. That was the idea of an individual with protected rights and that's in danger right now."