Women's soccer drops to 2-2 in MAC play


After losing a tough game on Friday, women's soccer had to bounce back against the best offensive team in the Mid-American Conference in Eastern Michigan.

That was not the case, as CMU fell to EMU 3-0.

Head coach Peter McGahey said the Eagles came to Mount Pleasant with a good game plan and was able to feed off the energy from scoring an early goal.

“Hats off to Eastern,” McGahey said. “They had a good game plan in scoring early and capitalizing on an early deflection. They used that momentum and capitalized. They really kept us on our heels the whole time and we just couldn’t find a good rhythm. It was a well-earned victory for them.”

EMU jumped out ahead, scoring a goal during the 34-minute mark. Its offense came into Sunday's match averaging 3.8 goals in the last five games.

The Chippewas could not get into a rhythm on offense, with one shot in the first 15 minutes of the game. McGahey said giving the ball away as opposed to making EMU take it was key in the outcome of the game.

“You had two teams in Western on Friday and Eastern today that played different defensively and I thought we struggled with getting into a rhythm,” McGahey said. “I thought we gave the ball away a bit too easily as we moved from the middle to our attacking half. There were too many balls that killed our own rhythm. We never made them take it from us; we just gave it to them.”

Weather conditions were not ideal, as it rained throughout the game. But, McGahey said the weather could have been worse.

“The weather might have been a silver lining,” McGahey said. “It could have rained harder.”

Grace Labrecque started her sixth game in goal and finished with four saves.

Defensively, the Eagles were able to apply pressure in the first half, limiting the Chippewas to few chances to attack on offense.

It was much of the same in the second half. The Chippewas had five shots in the second half, but was improved on the defensive end, just giving up one goal and five shots for EMU.


The Chippewas played an outstanding first half Friday, outshooting WMU 10-1 and controlling the tempo of the match for most of the opening period.

But a dagger-like goal by Broncos junior Aubrey Sudmoier put them on top by one with less than six minutes remaining in the game, and CMU could not respond.

“Hats off to Sudmoier. Quite frankly, it was a first class goal,” McGahey said. “Today we were just missing that last play … last tackle … last piece to win.”

The Chippewas were visibly frustrated following a plethora of scoring opportunities, especially in the first half.

Sophomore midfielder Kaelyn Korte missed an open net with 15 minutes remaining in the opening period before hitting the left upright with just more than five minutes until halftime. Korte finished the game with three shots, including one on goal.

Leading the Chippewas offensively was another midfielder, junior Emily Cooksey. Cooksey blasted a game-high five shots, counting one on goal that sailed just over the post early in the second half.

“In the second half we seemed to be lacking our sharpness just a little bit,” McGahey said. “We did enough to break them down multiple times. We just couldn’t get one to go.”

Although she could not stop the eventual game-winning goal, Labrecque was solid throughout the game, making three fantastic saves in the second half.

Per McGahey’s request, no players were made available to the media following the loss.

CMU will be in action next weekend with a 4 p.m. kickoff Friday against Toledo and at 1 p.m. Sunday against Northern Illinois at the CMU Soccer Complex.


Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.