Annese leads stellar defensive performance

anese_gc_01
Greg Cornwell/Staff Photographer

After allowing 44 points, 31 of those coming in the first half, the Chippewa defense was humiliated on Nov. 6 against Ball State.

Two and a half weeks later, it might not have faced a more challenging test, but it could not have done better, shutting out Massachusetts in a 37-0 win Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

“After (the Ball State) game, we weren’t happy,” head coach Dan Enos said. “It was embarrassing the way we played that night. We said some things in this room which we do as a family, challenged them, and they’ve responded and we got to do it one more week.”

The dreadful performance against the Cardinals forced the Chippewa coaching staff to make safety Tony Annese a starter. That decision has paid dividends.

Annese had his second pick-six in two starts, which moves him only behind Cooper Rush, Titus Davis, Saylor Lavallii and Zurlon Tipton for most CMU touchdowns this season.

UMass quarterback AJ Doyle tossed a pass directly at Annese, who took the interception down the sideline before cutting up the middle for the 34-yard interception return, making it 17-0, CMU.

“They depended on me a lot on special teams, so whenever I was in, I tried to make plays,” Annese said. “Now that I got my chance, I’m just making the most of it."

Annese was not the only defender who experienced success this weekend, though. Defensive back Jason Wilson was responsible for another turnover at the end of the first quarter with CMU leading 7-0.

UMass made its way to CMU’s 29 yard line before Wilson caught a tipped pass and took it to UMass’ 28 yard line. The Chippewas made a field goal following the turnover, giving CMU the 10-0 lead with 14:04 left in the second.

The defense did not let up in the second half, despite coming out of halftime with a comfortable 27-0 lead.

Defensive end Blake Serpa forced a fumble at midfield and Rush found Davis soon after for a 30-yard touchdown, making it 34-0 with 5:41 to go in the third quarter.

“Blake got a start today and responded,” Enos said. “He could be as good as he wants to be. He’s just a sophomore. He’s got really good athletic ability. He’s a tough guy and he’s an instinctive player, as well.”

Contact Jeff Papworth: jeffpapworth@ymail.com. Follow him on Twitter @JeffPapworth.