Central Michigan QB Darrien Boone charged with stealing debit card to buy gas and fast food

boonemug

Central Michigan quarterback Darrien Boone remains indefinitely suspended a day after he was arraigned in Isabella County District Court for using a stolen debit card to purchase nearly $90 in gas and food.

Boone, 19, was charged Monday with one count of stealing and retaining a financial transaction device without consent, a felony. He is due back in court for a preliminary examination on Dec. 5.

RELATED: Freshman quarterback Darrien Boone suspended indefinitely

According to court records, Boone is accused of making two separate transactions with a debit card reported missing Nov. 1 in Mount Pleasant. The female victim reported it missing at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 1 after making a purchase at Media Graphix on the Central Michigan University campus. Later that day, two charges -- $71.15 at a Shell gas station and $17.99 at Rally's in Mount Pleasant -- appeared on her statement.

CMU police began investigating Boone on Nov. 5 after obtaining video surveillance from the Shell station showing him and another man, also a CMU student, using the debit card to purchase fuel shortly before 9 p.m. on Nov. 1. A review of the tape, according to the affidavit, shows a green Ford Explorer registered to the other man entering the parking lot, Boone -- a passenger in the vehicle -- exit and insert the card into the pump "then hand the driver the gas pump."

The other man, who also has a preliminary exam scheduled for Dec. 5 in Isabella County District Court for a felony complaint, lives in Beddow Hall.

Boone, whose bio lists him at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds and lives in Saxe Hall, was later identified by police for wearing Adidas-branded CMU football team attire.

"Sgt. (Mike) Morrow was able to have (the) CMU Athletics apparel department look at the video and identify the front passenger clothing as CMU football attire," the affidavit reads. "A review of the CMU football team roster showed similar characteristics to Darrien Boone."

Rally's has not provided surveillance to CMU police, according to the affidavit, but Boone and the other man both admitted to finding the missing the debit card in the parking lot of Lexington Ridge apartments, 3700 E. Deerfield Road. The other man said he used the card to put gas in his vehicle and get food "because he was down on his luck."

"He admitted that Boone inserted the card and had possession of it, but the gas was for (him)," the affidavit reads.

Boone, meanwhile, admitted to picking up the card and riding with the man to the Shell station and Rally's but said he gave it to him to use.

"Video surveillance shows Boone with credit card in hand and inserting into pump station," the affidavit reads.

Boone, the scout team quarterback and third on the depth chart for part of the season, is expected to be redshirted. He was recruited by head coach Dan Enos from Hales Franciscan High School in Chicago where he earned a 4.0 GPA, set school records in all-purpose yards and total touchdowns for a game and season at quarterback, played basketball and ran track.

A team spokesman declined comment Tuesday, only saying Boone remains indefinitely suspended for violating team rules.

Contact Aaron McMann: aaron.mcmann@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @AaronMcMann.