Golf team to swing into action for first time since '82

cmb-golf-01
Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photographer Recently hired women's golf head coach Tom Beidleman talks about what his plans are for the future of women's golf for Central Michigan University Thursday afternoon in the McGuirk Arena Press Room.

Central Michigan’s newest varsity sport is set to begin its first season next spring since being rebooted.

Thanks to Title IX legislation, CMU will be able to field a women’s golf team for the first time since 1982 this year. The first CMU golf roster in 30 years is comprised of five players, each with a unique playing style and successful golfing history.

Holly Hines, a freshman from Three Rivers High School, earned first-team all-state Division 3 honors during her senior campaign.

Another Michigan native, Amanda Walsh, is a four-time first team Saginaw Valley Conference finisher and is sure to make an impact in her first season at CMU.

Arielle Roberts is a native of Hoschton, Ga. and is a two-time Gwinnett County High School Spring Kickoff champion. She is regarded as one of the best golfers in her area’s history.

Natalie Johnson is from Nashville, Ill. and was part of an Illinois State Championship team her senior year. Johnson was apart of the fifth place Illinois state championship team and was named to the SICA All-State and All-South Girls Golf Team.

Finally, Flint-native Kristen Wolfe joins the Chippewas after earning four varsity letters at Flint Powers Catholic High School. Wolfe earned first team division 4 all-state honors and also named Big 9 Conference honorable mention and first team honors in back-to-back seasons.

“The fact that we have a lot of young talent is not necessarily a bad thing,” head coach Tom Beidleman said. “I think we can be pretty competitive right out of the gate.”

Beidleman says he hopes in a few years CMU is seen as the go-to institution for aspiring female golfers across the state.

“There are so many high schools in the state of Michigan with good golf programs," he said. "We really wanted to focus our recruiting effort here in the state."

Beidleman said he is confident golf will be an ace in the popularity hole with CMU’s students and athletics audience.

“The community is very pumped about it. Golf is a big deal here in Mount Pleasant,” he said. “A lot of people have played golf but just don’t think about it. Now that (CMU) has a team, they may be a little bit more apt to get out there and get involved in the game.”