Volleyball falls short of upsetting Toledo, swept by Bowling Green

b4-volleyballrecap

Volleyball (11-13, 5-7 MAC) was four points away from upsetting Toledo (16-10, 9-3 MAC) in four sets Saturday after getting swept by Bowling Green on Friday.

The fourth set was back and forth, with nine tie scores and six lead changes throughout the set. The score was tied 21-21, but a pair of kills from Toledo followed by a pair of errors from CMU helped the Rockets tie the match at two sets apiece.

The Chippewas took a brief lead at 5-4 in the final set, but couldn’t hold on, as Toledo took the set 15-11.

CMU took the first and third sets Saturday in their first five-set match since Sept. 7. Saturday was the first time CMU lost a match after winning the first set since the opening game of the season against Oakland.

CMU continued to be strong in the blocking game, racking up 17 total team blocks to Toledo’s 11.

Senior middle blocker Danielle Gotham recorded nine blocks, including two solo blocks Saturday, equaling her previous career-high set in 2011. She also had the best attack percentage for CMU Saturday, tallying 12 kills and only three errors. Junior Hallie Enderle had seven total blocks.

Junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre led the team with 17 kills after only having seven against Bowling Green Friday.

With the loss, CMU falls to the eighth in the MAC. The top eight teams advance to the MAC tournament Nov. 22-24 in Geneva, Ohio.

The Rockets were hot coming into the contest, having only lost one MAC game since they lost to CMU and EMU in the opening weekend of the MAC season.

Three of the Chippewas final four matches will be at home, with Northern Illinois (15-11, 7-5 MAC) and Western Michigan (14-11, 7-5 MAC) coming to visit Friday and Saturday, and Eastern Michigan the following Thursday before ending the regular season at Ohio on Saturday, Nov. 16.

About Taylor DesOrmeau

Taylor DesOrmeau is a senior at Central Michigan University, majoring in integrative public relations ...

View Posts by Taylor DesOrmeau →