With UMass, Enos most concerned with tight end Rob Branchflower

enos

Much like New Hampshire, UNLV and Toledo, the Massachusetts offense also features two quarterbacks.

Leading up to Saturday's game against the Minutemen (1 p.m., ESPN3), that's not what Central Michigan head coach Dan Enos is necessarily worried about.

"That tight end, he hurt us last year," Enos said, referring to the 6-foot-4, 260-pound Rob Branchflower. "They find a lot of different and good ways to get him the football. I've seen him a lot on tape this year. He's a very good player."

While CMU (4-6, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) was able to pull away from UMass in the second half last year in Foxborough, it was Branchflower who proved to be a thorn in the Chippewas side. He had 10 catches for 100 yards, including an 8-yard touchdown reception that tied the game at 14 with four seconds left in the second quarter.

Branchflower, a fifth-year senior, has solidified himself as one of the premier tight ends in the MAC. He is second on the Minutemen in receiving yards (313 yards, three touchdowns) despite missing four games due to injury, with 851 yards total for his career.

While he hasn't experienced the success he probably would have liked to, the Minutemen (1-9, 1-5 MAC) have only had one winning season since he arrived in 2010, head coach Charley Molnar credits Branchflower's leadership in the school's transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

"On the practice field, on the game field and even in meetings and everything he does, he sets such a great example for our younger players," Molnar said. "Rob is a talented young man, but the talent only takes you so far. His attitude is really what sets him apart from many other football players.

"If you want to be recognized as one of the best players at your position, this is what it takes."

Back on the quarterback front, that situation appears remain unresolved. Starter A.J. Doyle, who was 30-for-45 for 253 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in CMU's 42-21, came out in the third quarter of UMass' 14-13 loss to Akron last week.

Doyle is 118-for-207 for 1,120 yards, five touchdowns and six interceptions this season.

Backup Mike Wegzyn (47-for-95, 575 yards, three TDs, six INTs), a sophomore who has played in nine games this season, entered the game and led the Minutemen down the field 76 yards for a 2-yard go-ahead touchdown to -- who else -- Branchflower.

"They both do different things, and their tight end is very, very good," Enos said. "They're multiple on offense, so they're doing a good job."

Defensively, Enos credits their line with keeping them in games this season. UMass has lost three games by a total of nine points, indicating what he calls an improved team this season.

"They play a lot of press coverages who challenge receivers, and they're doing a good job that way," Enos said. They're a well coached team, they got good coaches on their staff.

"Again, with this league, it's going to be another challenge."

Contact Aaron McMann: aaron.mcmann@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @AaronMcMann.