Holland senior Kelly Markatos' death ruled 'probable bulimia' following three-month investigation

Medical examiners have determined Holland senior Kelly Markatos' death earlier this semester to be the result of an eating disorder.

Working with the Spectrum Health Medical Examiner's office, Mount Pleasant Police investigated the cause of death for three months.

The 22-year-old public relations major was found unresponsive by her roommates in their West Campus Village apartment, Sept. 3 at 9:17 a.m.

Mount Pleasant Fire Department, and police officials were unable to resuscitate the unconscious Markatos, and she was determined dead at the scene.

After a three-month autopsy, including several toxicology reports and interviews, the MPPD released the cause of death in a press release, Wednesday.

"Medical examiners look at the physical examination of the body, they talk to the family and look at medical history," said MPPD Public Information Officer Jeff Thompson. "They look at everything. Based on their report, their determination was probable bulimia."

Thompson said examiners have been working to determine the cause of death since Markatos' body was found. He said they had to wait for several toxicology reports before making the determination.

"They have been working on this since her passing," Thompson said. "There's no indication of anything suspicious. Our report is closed."

A 2009 graduate of Northville High School, Markatos finished an internship at the Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity the summer before she died. She was buried at the Lakeshore Cemetery.

An obituary issued by the Langeland-Sterenberg Funeral Home and published by the Holland Sentinel, read that Markatos' parents remember her as "a princess and an angel. Their beloved.”