Men's basketball loses to Jacksonville State, splits season series before extended break

Men's basketball fell on the road against Jacksonville State on Tuesday, 82-73, evening the home and away season series at one game a piece.

Sophomores John Simons and Chris Fowler helped keep Central Michigan (6-5) in the game with 18 and 17 points, respectively.

However, the Gamecocks found a rhythm from the field, shooting 54 percent from the floor and 50 percent from beyond the arc.

CMU head coach Keno Davis said the Gamecocks relied on strong shooting and home advantage in knocking off the Chippewas Tuesday night.

“It’s disappointing, you’re never happy after a loss,” Davis said. “They shot the ball really well tonight; I mean, they shot 50 percent. They had an excellent home crowd, too. I think it was the biggest home crowd they had for their entire non-conference schedule.”

Jacksonville State's top shooters were starters Undra Mitchem, and Darion Rackley, who scored 17 and 16 points.

The bench was also a big boost for the Gamecocks, scoring 34 points, including 19 from Avery Moore.

Davis didn’t know what to expect from Moore, who didn't see any action during the first portion of the season.

“They had a player who scored 19 points for them,” Davis said. “He wasn’t eligible for the first semester so getting him back was big for them. On tape, they have so many guys that can have a scoring outburst, so it’s hard to scout. They are sort of like us because any given night we have a number of guys that can score a lot of points.”

CMU will have almost three weeks off before they host Marygrove College (0-12) at 7 p.m. on January 3.